Square footage needed per duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenphile, Mar 1, 2009.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    Was thinking of getting some duck eggs this year to try and hatch but was wondering how much square footage would be needed for standard ducks vs call ducks. How far away also should they be from my chickens?
    thanks
    Chris

2. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    Why can't they be with the chickens? Mine eat, sleep, and hang out in the yard with the chickens and often one of my ducks lays eggs in the chickens nesting boxes, so we just keep letting her think she is a chicken. [​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
  4. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    cherub78,
    I thought you were not supposed to mix poultry or is that just chickens and turkeys. Will the ducks just eat their food and the chickens theirs? What about intoducing ducklings to full grown chickens? Same rules apply? Do the ducks need a water supply(pond)? I will not be able to free range all the time but they will have an outside enclosed pen.

thanks
    Chris

5. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    Oh, now I see what you were asking. Sorry.

I remember my neighbor having problems with vitamin deficiency with her chickens when they ate the turkey (game) feed. They had problems with their legs curling under them.

My ducks eat the chicken feed (non-medicated!). Don't ever let the ducks have the medicated chicken/chick feed- very, very bad I was told.

My current ducks and chickens are the roughly the same age (laying age), so I give them the chicken layer feed (Dumor).

I am so totally not an expert, and still new to this all myself, but as long as it is not wild game feed, and not medicated, it should be fine.

Hope that helps.

6. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    duck need a bucket of water to play in at least, many people put in a kiddie pool. You can get one of the smaller ones(make sure it's plastic) and they will be just as happy. I feed my chickens and ducks the same thing as long as it's not medicated.

My chickens tend to ignore the ducklings when you introduce them, they may go peck them once, but they don't seem interested. But my chickens were raised in a mix flock so that may be why they aren't bothersome to the ducklings.

I have geese, ducks, chickens, and guineas together and have never had any problem with them getting sick because of the other poultry. Mine all free range at least part of the day.

As long as everybody has things to do and don't get bored they should be fine.

Julie

Turkeys can get sick if put with chickens.

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:i was looking for the same website lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by