square-head screws, your new best friend

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by max13077, Mar 24, 2009.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I built my coop last spring around this time and did so with mostly nails(about halfway through we switched to phillipshead screws). I just built a smaller coop and used hex head screws. OMG...... I may just have to tear my big oune down and build it again they were such a pleasure to use. I bet I rounded out a quarter of the phillips-heads. Out of probably 50 screws in this new coop, I rounded out a grand total of 1...

Do yourself a favor and use them!!!

2. Cruiser

Cruiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    W. Terre Haute IN.
    Yeah, I learned this trick a long time ago. Definitely go with the square head.
    Jason

3. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ditto to that!

About a year ago we did a lot of remodeling of our house. I had to tear down and replace two walls because of plumping leaks. The mold was horrible. So I accidentally bought a box of those hex head screws to redo some of the framing. Wonderful things for sure! Now all my building projects get those kind instead of the horrible phillips heads.

4. Cruiser

Cruiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    W. Terre Haute IN.
    You know there is a down side to the square heads. Some times I accidentally run them in to deep.

5. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Yep, hex head screws along with large flat washers was my "aha" moment when building our run. I initially used large u-shaped fencing nails to secure the wire to the run. Much easier and stronger with the screws and washers!

6. Dustoff79

Dustoff79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Quote:Yep, but on the up side, they are all the way in. I have stripped out many crosstip wood screws with a 1/2 inch to go.

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Hmmmm, I have not ever had this problem with the Phillips head screws. I always pre-drill my holes and I use 3" screws most all the time. The doors are usually 3 1/2" for extra support.
    DH also has the problem that you all have. He likes to use lag bolts to build his tractors but all 7 of mine are with the Phillips head. I mean, I gotta use them...my last name is Phillips and my MIL's maiden name was Head![​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, you gotta have a softer touch and use a bit of wheat germ oil on the screw. Okay, no nasty comments out there. It really works better than anything else I have tried. Vaseline, motor oil, etc...
    Enough with the nasty thoughts![​IMG]

8. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    Those square head srews are called "Robertson". Bin in Canada for ages but your right...they take high tourque alot better than "Phillips" [​IMG]

9. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    I love square head stainless steel deck screws.

Another fun tip: there is a collapsing sleeve that is fantastic for working with longer screws. It keeps the screw aligned on the drill without you having to try to hold the turning screw while it bites into the wood.

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Okay, ya sold me on those square head screws. I have stripped too many philip heads,, I can "hear" my DH cringing inside the house!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by