Square, level and plumb? Not... quite * (PICTURES now on pg.2)*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PeepsBMobbin, Apr 30, 2011.

1. PeepsBMobbin

PeepsBMobbin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    OK so I dont' have pictures yet of the coop we built, but we used all recycled everything except new plywood for the walls. The frame was already a part of a playfort that was sitting out in the sun for a year. We started with a level and lots of good intentions. In the end... well, my carpentry skills aren't quite perfected.

Just to get the 6 week old babies out of my office we ended up just screwing it all together and cutting off what stuck out of the sides. [​IMG] Oh, it's sturdy, but not exactly professional.

Now I am hoping to cover some of it with some trim, but who knows if that will happen. Does anyone else have pictures of the more, well, imperfect chicken coops. I see all these ones that are soooooo perfect looking. I think mine will be cute in the end but we shall see.

Anyone want to make me feel better about my wonky walls?

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I don't think the chickens will be checking for plumb and square! search for "ugly coop" and you will see some far worse or more weird than yours.

3. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Trim and paint will cover up lots of poor carpentry. That was our motto the whole time and it is true.

Sorry for the poor picture quality (2 year old cell phone).

We too utilized a lot of scrap wood from wood pallets and wood we had been hanging on to for far too long. Trust me, it is not square because a lot of the wood we used was twisted and/or warped.

[​IMG]

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I agree with aggie, the chickens don't care about square and plumb. [​IMG] Sturdy, draft free, predator proof, leak free with good ventilation is all they really need. [​IMG]

5. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    Quote:That's what is important. A paint job will make it look much, much better. I recently built two small coops, neither are square or plumb. I bugged me for a little while, but as they where the 2nd and 3rd things I ever built, I'm kinda proud of them.

[​IMG]

I made a bollock of the angles on the run, but it's sturdy, draft free and dry inside.

[​IMG]

This one looks ok from a distance, the doors stick though. It works though, and the hens inside are happy. I still have to do some work on it though.

6. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

OUr first coop is an A frame complet with wood siding and shingles. It cost a pretty penny, I tell you. The second is FAR more simple. The birds in each coop eat, sleep, poop, and lay quite happily. Don't sweat it.

7. suzyQlou

suzyQlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    My Coop
    Oh, I don't have the coop finished yet. When I do, you and I will be in the same boat. Here's a photo of my run's door frame. It isn't even close to square, but the door somehow manages to open and close. I've added "cut off what sticks out on the side" to my list of things to come back to as soon as the coop is done. "Close enough" has become my battle cry. Funny, though. I'm still proud of things when they take shape. This is all a big learning experience for me.

[​IMG]

Please post the photos when you've got them. I look forward to seeing your wonky walls!

8. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    The funny thing about imperfections is that often you will be the only one that knows about them. To your guests it will look good and the fun you had making it is the important thing.

9. gnatboy911

gnatboy911 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Nice work on the recycled materials. So far the only things i have spent money on for my coop is some hinges and latches for the doors, and some screws. other than that it was ALL recycled stuff. lots of warped boards here! my coop/run/nest boxes/etc is def. not pretty, but very functional.

the cheaper the better, right?

[​IMG]

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There are probably more wonky coops out there than square, plumb and level ones. I agree, try a search for "ugly coops" or the like. Think of it as good experience. You should see my first one....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by