Squash Bugs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tucker0104, Feb 21, 2012.

1. tucker0104

tucker0104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Sorry, couldn't find the right forum to start this thread so I thought I would try this one. I am looking at getting some Black Austerlorps and Rhode Island Reds in April. I have a real bad squash bug problem. I was wondering if the chickens will eat the bugs. Is there a better bird to pick or have in addition to the chickens?

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I cannot imagine any creature wanting to eat a squash bug. I'm glad I'm not a chicken. I'm also grateful to have chickens who will eat the squash bugs before the squash bugs eat my zucchinis, but still. Who would eat a squash bug?? Not me. [​IMG]

I think those breeds will be fine. I don't know much about Australorps but my RIRs scratch and eat bugs like you would not believe! When I had them in tractors full time I sometimes had to move them twice a day while I only moved the other breeds every other day because they would scratch the grass up so quickly! :)

3. tucker0104

Feb 6, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Do I need to be worried about the chickens eating my garden?

4. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Yes. If they have the chance, they will eat your plants. I'm letting mine have at it while nothing if planted so they can eat all the burrowing bugs and then we are putting up a fence before we plant.

5. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    A tall fence. Chickens loooove gardens.

6. tucker0104

Feb 6, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Sorry, for the late response. I have been in the virgin islands on vacation. Is there anything out there that will eat squash bugs but not eat my garden?

7. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Ooh. I want a vacation like that! Let me know when you're going next time so I can hide in your suitcase. =P
    Sorry for my late answer, also. I have been away from home for days also, but not in the Virgin Islands. *jealous face*
    I don't know of a creature that would eat squash bugs without eating your garden. Except maybe a monkey... You could always keep a Capuchin chained up in your garden. (But they do eat some fruits and veggies...) [​IMG]
    No. Not really. Don't chain a monkey in your garden.

But in all seriousness, if you find an animal that eats squash bugs but not gardens, please let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by