Squash enchiladas

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by 2DogsFarm, Aug 15, 2010.

1. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I found this on a website and I apologize to the OP (OldLady Memory) if it was here!
    [​IMG]

I am getting overrun with Winter squash and this recipe is not only easy to put together but Dee-Lish! : 9
    I used butternut squash, but delicata, carnival, acorn or even pumpkin would work too.

cook your squash - I cut in half, scooped out seeds & microwaved for about 10 minutes (until soft)

Mash squash and mix in sweet corn - either from homegrown or if you don't have any (like me) use 15oz can of kernels - and about 4 Tablespoons butter

Season with salt, pepper, ground cumin (I only had whole, so I crushed the seeds in my hands before adding), oregano, garlic powder & anything else you think would be good.

Soften corn tortillas by steaming in the microwave or warming in a skillet

Spread about 1/4 cup squash mix on each tortilla and sprinkle with a couple tablespoons of the cheese of your choice - Monterey Jack or Mexican Asadero are good. I used a packaged mix of shredded Asadero, Quesadilla & Anejo (Sargento)

Roll up the tortillas and place seam-side down in a casserole sprayed with PAM
    Sprinkle with more cheese & paprika (if you have smoked paprika it is the BEST!)
    Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, just until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are crisped on the ends.

Serve with sour cream and salsa - the green tomatillo salsa goes great, but red is good too

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Oh, seriously, that sounds sooo good![​IMG]

3. 2DogsFarm

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    YC - I bet you can even get kids to eat squash this way [​IMG]
    It really does come together 1-2-3 & tastes great!

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Yum!! What about a recipe for all this summer squash that I have coming out of my ears? [​IMG]

5. 2DogsFarm

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    SC:
    #1 -make squash fritters!

Shred 3 medium summer squash, salt & drain for 10min in a colander then squeeze dry with paper towels

Mix in 3 eggs, 3/4 cup flour, 2T fresh thyme (or 1T dried), 3 chopped green onions.

Stir together & add 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese & 1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Saute batter - 2 T for each fritter - in a small amount of oil, flattening with spatula until browned on both sides.
    Transfer to a cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 5 miinutes

Serve topped with sour cream and chopped fresh dill

#2- make pasta - any shape, your choice

While pasta is cooking, slice squash into ribbons using your box grater

Saute ribbons in olive oil with some chopped garlic and onions until tender

Stir in ricotta cheese - about 1 cup, season with salt & pepper & stir until ricotta melts into a creamy sauce. You can add some of the pasta water to loosen the sauce.

Stir some chopped walnuts into the sauce too
    (I am using a lot of walnuts these days - supposed to be good for you)

You can serve over pasta or mix the cooked pasta into the skillet.
    Top with grated parmesan or Asiago

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    [​IMG]

Ooooh... that sounds sooo good! Thanks! [​IMG]

7. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    My DD just sent me a recipe for Golden Lemon Cake, which actually uses yellow summer squash (which is about the only thing growing in my garden this hot summer).

1 pkg Lemon cake mix
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    2 eggs
    2 cups grated unpeeled summer squash
    3/4 cup drained unsweetened crushed pineapple
    1/2 cup sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 325. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cake mix, oil and eggs, and beat at low speed for 2 minutes. Fold in squash, pineapple and almonds. Blend thoroughly. Pout into prepared pan and bake 45-55 minutes (toothpick test for doneness). Recipe says you can also use a 12-cup Bundt pan and bake it for 60-70 minutes.

Haven't made this yet, but I'm going to later today. Trying to think of a good frosting to put on it.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Let us know how it is...

9. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Quote:Too bad you aren't closer! I'd be buying it off you faster than you can get it grown!

10. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I've threatened to overnight it to my sister in SC and daughter in NC! Okra and summer squash are the only things growing in my garden this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by