Squashed chick :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Peedrr, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Peedrr

Peedrr New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Hi all,

New to Backyard Chickens and to hatching chicks. Our first-time mum has done a wonderful job incubating the littl'uns and all 5 have now hatched. We left her alone for 24 hours while they were hatching and have just discovered that one of the chicks appears to be squashed. Her legs are splayed out and she is unable to walk although the legs do move.

A quick search on here suggests that this can happen but we're not sure what our best course of action is. We think her chances of survival are nil as she is unable to get to the food unassisted. Unless you guys can suggest otherwise, we are assuming there is nothing much we can do for her. If that's the case, what would be the kindest way to end her suffering?

Many thanks for any advice.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. Peedrr

Peedrr New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Sumi we can't thank you enough for your response. Having now read all about splayed leg, that seems to be the problem. We completely misdiagnosed the problem and as soon as I was searching for the right terms, we found all the help we needed, including posts by @SpeckledHills

Our chick is now sporting a very fetching bandaid splint and, thankfully, I haven't even clicked on the euthanasia links :)

Thank you for saving a little life today.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That is great news! Please keep us posted of her progress? Speckledhills it seems hasn't been on yet, but I'm sure she'll pop in to check as soon as she gets the tag alert and will be happy to see her older posts helped [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by