Squat and now we wait

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by April Barta, Mar 21, 2018.

1. April Barta

April Barta Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    Puyallup, WA
    i have 17 pullets that are just over 18 weeks old. A handful of them are squatting as of Sunday. :weeWhich, you should see me... I’m running around trying to see which ones squat. They keep talking back to me but I just ignore their banter. Funny thing is we leave for a 5 day anniversary trip on Friday morning. You know the moment I leave and stop harrassing these chickens... one of them is gonna lay an egg?!?!?! It’s gonna happen while I’m gone. :hitI just know it. Anyway, had to vent! Fingers crossed a get a first egg sometime today or tomorrow. :fl Or next Wednesday. :lau

Cyprus and Harmony Fowl like this.
  2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I know that feeling :) Good luck.
    Watching you chase those birds and seeing who squats sure would be entertaining :pop

Relleoms and April Barta like this.
  3. April Barta

April Barta Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    Puyallup, WA
    I plan on getting a video! I only have one from my perspective. Gotta convince DH to come out and record me. :ya

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    :gig

April Barta likes this.
  5. April Barta

April Barta Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah... They all run from me now. Lol. I spent 19 weeks building this trusting and loving relationship. 5 days of trying to see who squats and it’s all out the window. Some come running when I have a bowl cuz they know... treats! But others go hiding and I yell at them “Go make me an egg!” :tongue

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They can get pretty flaky when onset of lay is near,
    they'll usually calm down after laying is well established.

April Barta likes this.
  7. April Barta

April Barta Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    Puyallup, WA
    ARE YOU SAYING EGGS ARE NEAR?!?!?! :wee

8. April Barta

April Barta Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    Puyallup, WA
    For the record - NO EGG was laid while I was gone. I went out there today to give them some love before locking them up for the night and they were squatting all around me the moment I tried to pet them so my guess is.... SOON. I didn't have to chase anyone down for the squat. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: