Squat walking

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ole rooster, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I hope somebody can answer this one.

This morning at 10 till 7:00 I went out the let um all out. It's still a little dark here but they're up so out them come. Well everybody came on out, including the 6 chicks, well all but one buff O. She could have still been asleep but she came to the pop door and sat down. Then instead of walking down the ladder/ramp like always she tried to walk down while sitting down. I thought she was hurt. Didn't know how overnight but that's what I thought. I reach out to pick her up and set her on the ground to see if she could walk and she jumped down and trotted over with the other chickens.

Any ideas what in the world was going on with her?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Maybe she was squatting for you? That's the only thing I can think of. Give her a scratch next time that happens and see what she does.

My Orps are just hussies when a male comes around. Only the top hen squats for me normally but a male comes around and they all get glued to the ground :rolleyes: You can't tell me they don't know the difference! And one, yes, she will squat like crazy, I could totally see her doing that.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    So when you put her down she seemed to walking around like she normally does? What you described reminds me a little of when a cat or dog drags their butt on the carpet [​IMG]

4. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX

:lau

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The crazy thing is trying to come down the ladder. I spaced the rungs at 4 inches. She was trying to make the step to each one without standing up. I dumbest waddle you've ever seen. It was still a little dark so she may have been asleep. But before I could pick her up she jumped down. [​IMG] I don't think she has the same glands back there the dogs has. Oh my, at least I pray she don't. [​IMG]

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Very true-not the same glands as dogs. Your description of her trying to walk and sit at the same time just brought that image to mind. I can only wonder if the darkness made her uncertain about coming down the ramp. Chickens have poor night vision, but the dark sure didn't seem to affect the other chickens. Too bad she can't tell you what was going through her little chicken brain.

7. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX

I'd be very afraid of knowing what goes through a chicken's brain! :gig

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by