Squating Siilkies

IonaFarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
If a silkie squats when you pet it or pick it up does that mean it's a hen???? I hope I hope!!! Mine are 4 1/2 months old.

Quote:
It may mean it's a hen. The squat signifies a couple of things, that you are dominant and recognised as such. And if it is a hen she is giving you permission to be a roo.
wink.png

Imp

Does it also mean they may lay eggs soon? How often do they lay eggs? Thank you for the info. I'm new to silkies.

Quote:
I don't have silkies, but some people say the squat does signifies that laying is close. I have never seen it posted that Silkies are great layers, but also never posted that they are horrible layers. I'm going to guess 4-5 eggs a week,to start; but really not sure. Hopefully someone with Silkies will chime in.

BTW- Silkies are known for going broody often, and being good moms.

Imp

Last edited:
Squatting could mean that your (hopefully!!) hen is ready to lay soon. They lay fairly well until they go broody, and let me warn you, they go broody often! Their eggs are on the smaller side as well. They are generally not kept for their eggs but for their eggcelent mothering abilities.

Last edited:
A hatchery Silkie can lay anywhere from 5-6 months of age, a Breeder or Show Quality birds tends to take anywhere from 7-9 months to start laying.

If you have any pictures we may be able to tell the sex if they are 4.5 months old now. Sometimes, it takes longer to sex than that, depending on the quality of the bird.

Squatting may indicate it being a hen, but I don't think it indicates that she is ready to lay.

Our little 14 week old Silkie rooster (definitely a roo) squats when we pet him on the back. He's always done that. He's the only one of our flock (Silkies, Wyandottes, and Welsummers—all 14 wks old) that lets us pet him and pick him up. And he definitely squats if we pet him on the back. I think it's a submission thing.

I agree. All of my silkies hunker down when you touch them... boys and girls. My girls are just always low to the ground though. The boys are more upright. Mine are taking FOREVER to lay. I have them from 38 weeks on down. I think the oldest one laid an egg or two and then quit! Not the most prolific layers to be sure but they sure are sweet!

Back
Top Bottom