Squatting and laying:

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RobotChicken, Nov 3, 2008.

1. RobotChicken

RobotChicken Chicken TV Addict

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!
    So I have seen where people are talking about squatting as a precursor to laying.

Well today while I was hanging out with my chickens I petted one of my brown leghorns and my black giant, both of em sqautted down when I did that and let me pet them.

They are all 16 weeks old now, The leghorns have a particularly large comb and wattle which has a pretty good red color to it.

Is squatting really an indication that they will lay soon? In the past my ameraucanas would squat, and need to be petted, before they would lay. Even stopping for days if you didn't "pet" them. Yet I see some people saying that squatting has no correlation to laying.

Thoughts?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I was wondering the same thing but it was because my girls are not squatting. Miss Prissy said that squatting has to do with submission rather than laying.

3. RobotChicken

RobotChicken Chicken TV Addict

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!
    Quote:Yes, and I can believe that, dogs do the same thing.

(when my parents dog wants to show she is being submissive she pee's, apparently I am very intimidating to her as well).

But part of me thinks back to my last chickens, they would stop laying, for several days, untill you went out and petted them, you could tell when they really "wanted" it because you would barely get close and they would squat.

Then for a day or two they didn't care to be petted again, then they would start to squat if you petted them, and if you didn't after another day or so they would stop laying untill you went out and petted them again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by