Squatting and such

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrPaterax, Dec 21, 2013.

1. MrPaterax

MrPaterax Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    Ok, so I know when is starting to squat this usually means they're about the age of ready to lay. I have a question though, do they eventually stop the squatting when you try to pick them up? Or do they keep doing it? First post btw ^^

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Some hens will eventually stop squatting, but in my experience if no rooster is present they will continue to regard you as the object of their affection.

3. MrPaterax

Dec 16, 2013
    Ok, thanks

4. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

Definitely. We have a hen we jokingly refer to as my husband's girlfriend since she rushes to greet him and squats down, and follows him, demanding his attention while squatting again and again. She's a sweet Black Star, and she squats for me, although she prefers to just deand my attention and not squat for me.

5. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    It's funny when I walk into pen all six layers squat, to the point I have to be careful not to step on them, all the time I'm in there. They do not do it for MIL, and wife. They have a surprise coming next week when a Roo arrives.

6. MrPaterax

Dec 16, 2013
    Oh, what breed?

7. operationindigo

operationindigo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    I have a related question. When people say their chickens "squat," what does this actually look like? I know what a squat is, but my chickens do all kinds of wacky things but I haven't really thought of any of these behaviors as squatting - maybe a few times only. They're about 20 - 22 weeks old. They have pretty full and red combs/waddles, but I really haven't seen them squat a lot. Is it a subtle thing they do sometimes? I know this is a silly question.

8. emmaie892000

emmaie892000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    Its not a silly question. When they squat they bend their knees so they are a little shorter and they slightly push out their wings. Not fully extended straight, but at more of a right angle. Mine started doing it right before they began laying, and they do it in the morning before we go to get the eggs, almost they are curtseying to accept the thanks for the egg. LOL.It can be pretty subtle, and they often only do it for a few seconds. When you pick them up they stay very still.

9. MrPaterax

Dec 16, 2013
    Yup :D

10. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    These are the Red Stars that do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by