Squatting before laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suburbanchick, Aug 21, 2007.

1. suburbanchick

suburbanchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    My hens never wanted anything to do with me. Now the two who are laying are so sweet. They run over to wherever I am and squat for me to pet them. I love it! I've noticed several others posting that their chickens do this too when they start laying.

I'm just wondering what the biological reason is for this?

One thing I notice is that they raise their rear end when I'm petting them. Do they think I'm their rooster? Ewwww! :eek:

I am so happy to be getting eggs though... especially from the EE who gives me a lovely green egg... she laid two today between 6:30 and 4:30! The SLW frequently gives me double yolkers... those are nice.

One more question... they lay in the corner of the coop... not in the nesting boxes which are raised. Any ideas on how to get them to go in there? Or should I just be glad they're laying inside at all since they free range all day until dark!

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    They're squatting because you are their roo and they're going to let you mate them. [​IMG]

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    mine do this too [​IMG]

4. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Southern28Chick's right (as usual [​IMG] ) . Try putting golf balls in the nesting boxes; that should make them start laying in the nesting box.

5. suburbanchick

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    That's what I was afraid of! For real... my hunch was right? Or are you guys messin' with me?

I will try the ball thing.

Thanks!

6. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:No we're not messin with ya. They squat to let the roo mount them. Mine haven't done it yet. It'll be easier for me to catch them when they do.

7. suburbanchick

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Yeah, it does make it easier to pick them up and put them in the coop at night. I posted a while back with the problem of catching them.

It's just gross though, kinda like inappropriate relations or something... I'm their MOM!

8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    How old are your girls? Mine are 16 weeks and I'm already checking the hen house for eggs. Do you have a rooster?

9. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    my only layer squats. i take it as an oppurtunity to hold her. she used to run away but now she stops and squats, i pick her up - she realizes i am not going to mount her - and she lets me pet her. at least... i HOPE she realizes....

10. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I had nurses tell me to SQAUT [​IMG] HA.......no way I said.........maybe I should have tried it uh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by