Squatting chicken: vent looks strange

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MarinMama, Aug 30, 2011.

1. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    hey all,

one of my ee's who is 18 weeks old has been squatting for almost a week now. It has been a little surprising because she is not as red as the other 2 ee's.

she is also the bossy and loudest chicken i have....so when she was squatting, I scratched her back and she showed me her vent...it was kind of bald and looked bigger than the other chickens...does anyone has pictures of what a vent looks like from a chicken that has laid an egg?

i suspect she may be laying but have yet to find any eggs...she is quite loud in the morning but no eggs in nest box or run...they do get the free range around the yard and i have been looking out for eggs but have found nothing yet...

maybe i should catch one of the other chickens and check out their butt to see if it is similar.

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Im definitely no expert, but i have heard this. : A chicken ready to lay will have a large, red and sort of moist vent. [​IMG] Hovever, the red part of that depends on the color of the chicken's skin. So, id say a chicken with a large, moist different colored vent than the rest of its skin, is a ready hen!!
    [​IMG]

3. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Quote:Hmmm....maybe I'll just wait for an egg instead of looking for a moist vent...yuck...

4. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Check the vent shape. When they start to lay the vent becomes oval (like an egg). Before laying the vent is rounder.

My pullets are starting to lay and we are checking vents to figure out who has started and who hasn't.

5. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Quote:Hmmm....maybe I'll just wait for an egg instead of looking for a moist vent...yuck...

Good choice![​IMG]

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I'm going to resurrect this thread and ask if anyone has pictures of a laying hen's vent? I'm *expecting*!!!

7. banks

banks Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  8. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Quote:The video is of a ladybird laying eggs ???

9. banks

banks Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok I'll try again

and

Warning Very Graphic

10. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Very, very cool! I've had chickens for 3 years and never actually watched them lay an egg! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by