squatting chicken

kichohana

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Johnston County, NC
so i have 2 columbian wyandottes and 2 speckled sussex, all about 18 weeks old. they are all very sweet girls. last week this strange behavior started. every time i open the door to go in their run they come greet me - usually because i have treats. Betsey, one of the wyandottes, immediately squats down to the ground and kinds spreads her wings out.
idunno.gif
she does this every time without fail. she's healthy and otherwise a "normal" hen. both wyandottes just started laying this week. anyone out there have an explanation for the squatting when i enter their run?

Some of my hens do this too, however, I always took it as their way of anticipating me petting them. I get close, the squat down, I give them a pet and we are all happy.
smile.png

My sex links began to squat just before they began to lay. One was a hold out, Lucille would not squat...her face was red so I knew she was close to laying. Last week we were in the run when Lucille squatted for my husband who was able to pet her...otherwise she did not want you touching her. Today she was the first one to lay her egg.

Back
Top Bottom