Squatting Cockerel

LateBirdFarms

Songster
Apr 17, 2020
Ontario
What are the chances of a sex linked cuckoo silkie cockerel being a pullet instead? His mother was cuckoo, his father black. Does anyone have a rooster or cockerel that squatted? Do I not count on this little guy to be able to do the deed?
This little boy is a wonderful little thing, always acted more henish and hasn't found his voice yet, but I chalked it up to the fact he's a silkie. My other silkie roo is waaaaay less than manly, but he certainly NEVER squatted!
This boy is at the 12week mark (or thereabouts) has had a bright comb since 5 weeks and distinct wattles, but he does a hen squat when you touch his neck or back! Even does the shake out after the squat! What gives?
20210430_150500.jpg
20210419_021439.jpg

Maybe he's just being submissive ?
I suppose that's the case, but is that normal cockerel submissive behavior? Admittedly, I haven't owned a terribly large amount of roosters, but this is behavior I've only witnessed in hens and PoL pullets. I've had submissive roosters run, hide, cry like chicks, crow only when out of sight, but never squat.

I suppose that's the case, but is that normal cockerel submissive behavior? Admittedly, I haven't owned a terribly large amount of roosters, but this is behavior I've only witnessed in hens and PoL pullets. I've had submissive roosters run, hide, cry like chicks, crow only when out of sight, but never squat.
There is a difference between squatting and being submissive. It’s natural for any chicken, especially a youngster, to be submissive and naturally squat down low when you reach down to pet. What pullets do is squat, stick their wings out for balance, and stick their vents out to, well... you know. Accept the seed.

Sex linked is genetic it wouldn't be wrong.
Judging gender by behavior is often wrong.
Im not thinking he's a she, exactly... More wondering if he will grow up to be a proper crowing, mounting rooster. Is squatting a normal submissive cockerel behavior that I've just missed up until this point?

There is a difference between squatting and being submissive. It’s natural for any chicken, especially a youngster, to be submissive and naturally squat down low when you reach down to pet. What pullets do is squat, stick their wings out for balance, and stick their vents out to, well... you know. Accept the seed.
He hen squats! Tail up.. Presenting..

He's 12 weeks old. Hardly ready to be a full fledged rooster yet.

Back
Top Bottom