1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

squatting easter egger pullet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cosorrells3540, Dec 21, 2015.

1. cosorrells3540

cosorrells3540 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Is this the squatting they do before they lay? This is one of my 22 week pullets and her comb just turned red and is the reddest of the 4 i have.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Yep, that's a mating crouch. She looks point of lay for sure, so you may expect some eggs too! An EE who lays early is always a good bird since they are known to often start later than most breeds.

3. cosorrells3540

Dec 17, 2015
    I checked her spread earlier and she is only 1-1&1/2 fingers. One was at two fingers the other two were 1 finger. Does that change quickly? Or should i wait a few more weeks and check them again.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

You mean spread of the pelvic bones? Honestly I don't trust that method too much, it can be unreliable. I'd only really trust it to tell the difference between a well seasoned laying hen and a very young pullet, not a bird who is directly prior, in, or past point of lay.

5. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

Agree, that is only workable on telling a season layer and a poor one that been laying for a period of time.

6. cosorrells3540

Dec 17, 2015
    That makes a lot of sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by