Squatting/ What exactly am I looking for?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by M.sue, Jul 25, 2011.

1. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    What is it that I am looking for? [​IMG] My girls will be 16 wk. on Wed. that were purchased from TSC. I have 4 (Isa Browns) that I purchased the same day but from an independent seller. Those 4 I believe were approx. a week older. What should I be looking for in the so called squatting? I've noticed a few of the Isa Browns and a couple of the Buff Orpingtons standing with their wings out from their bodies. I assumed they were cooling off for we've had some really hot weather. Is this related to them squatting or preparing to squat? I don't know I'm new to this even though I grew up around chickens.......Grandpa was the chicken guy, I just chased them and feed them. A good description would be appreciated.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The hen will stop, flatten herself close to the ground and move her wings out to the side a little.

When you say they have their wings away from their bodies---that is one way they try to be cooler, and if they are panting at the same time, you know it is heat related. Remember, chickens cannot sweat so this is a cooling method for them. When mine pant, they are standing very tall.

The other behavior is crouching low to the ground and flattening. You will know it when you see it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Thanks for the info. I know now what to look for. My girls are just keeping cool as I thought.
    Quote:

4. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if it is universal or not, but my hens do a little tap dance as they start to squat.

5. sixty7x

sixty7x Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Warwick RI
    ditto on the tap dance. I've also noticed that the 'queen' hen is tougher to get to squat. Just put your fingers on the center of their back just behind the neck. They usually drop like a rock.

6. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    OK I'll be looking for the tap dance too! Right now I haven't seen anything of what you all describe. Thank you so much for all the helpful information! [​IMG]

7. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Yeah my barred rocks are hilarious. They will sneak out the coop door into the backyard and when I go to grab them they do the squat. Always makes catching them easier! I just snatch their flattened bodies up and put the bad girls back in their coop

8. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    You will 100% know it when you see it!

9. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Why are you wanting them to squat? That is actually their mating technique. When they squat for you, they see you as the roo who is mating them! Mine squat when I reach out to catch them, too. It does make them easy to catch and handle. Usually they don't squat until they're of egg-laying age, and mating age.

10. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    what about sitting down and making a clucking noise? she sits there for a few minutes clucking and then gets up and moves on. does this mean she is getting ready?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by