Squatting

mkriglein

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2022
I have a problem with one of my ISO browns, Rosey. She is 2 years old. She is my favorite of the flock so i hope someone can help me. She has been squatting for 4 days now. The second day i brought her in because i suspected her being egg bound. I gave her a warm bath that she enjoued for about 20-30 min. I then lubed her duct. But i cannot feel an egg at the passage. He has a firm abdomen. She is still eating and pooping like normal. She spent the 2nd night indoors in my bathroom. The 3 rd day i had to pit her back out. I have isolated her in her own run. Please somebody help me figure out whats wrong with Rosey. I am giving her eggshells and added hydro hen 3 in 1 probiotic/electrolytes/acidifiers to her water. She does not have any yellowness to her poop.

Attachments

• 16651598191966778037750626785735.jpg
    16651598191966778037750626785735.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 21
The firm abdomen makes me think it's filled with fluid (ascites) which normally means Egg Yolk Peritonitis. If you have a vet nearby they can hopefully confirm this and perhaps drain some fluid and give her a suprelorin implant, otherwise if you want to do it yourself there's guides on Youtube but it can introduce bacteria and make it worse. There are other causes for ascites but as far as I know EYP or other reproductive issues are the most common, so that would be my guess.

Does her abdomen feel like it's filled with fluid to you?

The firm abdomen makes me think it's filled with fluid (ascites) which normally means Egg Yolk Peritonitis. If you have a vet nearby they can hopefully confirm this and perhaps drain some fluid and give her a suprelorin implant, otherwise if you want to do it yourself there's guides on Youtube but it can introduce bacteria and make it worse. There are other causes for ascites but as far as I know EYP or other reproductive issues are the most common, so that would be my guess.

Does her abdomen feel like it's filled with fluid to you?
That was an option i thought but there is no yellow in her poop. It is white and normal. And ive heard peronitus have water belly. Like you can fill the fluids.

She most likely has a reproductive disorder.
When was the last time she laid an egg?
Is her abdomen bloated at all? (the abdomen is located underneath the vent in between the legs)

Not bloated. Im not sure exactly when the last time she laid. I have 3 others that lay brown eggs and I typically get 2 eggs a day from the 4 ISO's.

I hope you can figure out whats wrong with Rosey. I have 1 ISO brown or a cinnamon queen. And she is a character. Is Rosey doing well tonight?

I have a problem with one of my ISO browns, Rosey. She is 2 years old. She is my favorite of the flock so i hope someone can help me. She has been squatting for 4 days now. The second day i brought her in because i suspected her being egg bound. I gave her a warm bath that she enjoued for about 20-30 min. I then lubed her duct. But i cannot feel an egg at the passage. He has a firm abdomen. She is still eating and pooping like normal. She spent the 2nd night indoors in my bathroom. The 3 rd day i had to pit her back out. I have isolated her in her own run. Please somebody help me figure out whats wrong with Rosey. I am giving her eggshells and added hydro hen 3 in 1 probiotic/electrolytes/acidifiers to her water. She does not have any yellowness to her poop.
Photo of her poop?

I'd get some Calcium Citrate with D3 into her. 1 tablet daily, just pull down her wattles, pop the pill in and let her swallow.

Do check to see that her crop is emptying overnight. If it's not, then address this symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I had to leave town for a few days. She is under the care of my husband. He did get 600mg of calcium in her yesterday. I will be home tomorrow to continue treatment as i see fit. I do not think its sour crop or impacted. Ill double check tomorrow. She is eating and pooping as normal. She just walks weird and sits alot. No egg since we put her in her own coop 3 days ago.

Back
Top Bottom