Squatting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pacetruckguy, Jan 7, 2010.

1. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    OK, I have a newby question. Yesterday I went out to feed the chickens, and they all came running to the end of thier run to greet me , as usual. For the first time one of my hens squatted down as to ask me to pick her up. I have seen this behavior before, but it was the first time it was directed at me. It gave me kind of a warm feeling, and I bent over and petted her and she was very receptive. I started thinking about it and was wondering if this is a sexual thing and a way that the hen is receptive to a rooster, and because I have no rooster, does she think I'm her guy? or what?
    OK don't laugh too hard. I would like one of you old hats to clear this up for me though. Thanks!

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner....

By squatting she is preparing to be mounted....

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  3. pacetruckguy

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    Was that a nice way of calling me a ding dong? LOL!! Thanks.

4. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    When mine started to squat they started laying for the first times about a week later. And every day when I go out to give oatmeal with blueberries to them 1/2 of them squat until they see the bowl. Then like a flash oatmeal is flying everywhere.

5. pacetruckguy

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    That's really encouraging. I've been carring for them for about two months now and no eggs. I can't wait for eggs!! You will all here about that, believe me!

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    You guessed it...squatting is a submissive gesture assumed by hens preparing for the rooster to do his thang.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by