Squatting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickachee, Dec 8, 2014.

1. chickachee

chickachee Chillin' With My Peeps

Most of my hens have finally made it through their molt. Yesterday one of the hens squatted. Does that mean that she may start laying eggs in a bit? I think she may be one of the "mamas" that raised a chick that hatched from a shipped egg (long story). If so, she has been on hiatus since August. Anyway, any ideas as to if this squatting behavior MAY lead to laying??

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's one of the signs she is maturing enough to lay. I think mine started to do the squatty about 1-2 weeks out from laying their first egg. You may also see their combs and wattles getting redder. How old are your girls?

3. chickachee

chickachee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, shoot, they're 2+ years old. I know that when they're starting to lay, that's one of the indicators - squatting. These girls may or may not be the mom of a chick that hatched in late August. I've never had hatching eggs before, so I don't know if squatting is an indicator when they're a bit older - after they've weaned the chick - that they're ready to lay eggs again..

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Any age hen in lay, or near it, might squat for a human if there's no rooster around.

5. Heme

Heme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    So Funny! I let my hens out everyday around noon (after they lay their eggs) and I have one Road Isl. Red that waits at the exit until I lean down and giver her a gentle squeeze on her thighs. My broody hen is not laying of course, but she get off her nest and joins the others for some exercise and nourishment.

I do not have a Rooster (too noisy for my development in a rural area of town) and the Girls seem to think I am their daddy. Sometimes when I walk around outside the house, some hens walk over and wait, squat and stay still until I gently rub their thigh area. They get up, shake their buts and run off.

6. DaisyDo39

DaisyDo39 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2014
    Sometimes when I just try to pick them up, they squat and open up their wings a little bit. I think it maybe a habit, or a "get ready position". But my other chicken has been squatting after she hatched her chicks. I think that it means that "she's done" like no more mating I'm tired sort of thing. A friend told me that if they squat after hatching eggs, it keeps the roosters from mating. If they do, they will just slip off and not get a good "grip". There are many ideas that tie into that. I hope this helps.

7. Heme

Heme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Great reply. I believe you covered all areas quite well. many thanks for the information provided.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by