squawking chicken madness!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickies, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Chickies

Chickies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Northeast Florida
    my chickens have been driving me crazy today. i have one hen in particular who has been squawking her head off,which sets off the rooster, squawking his head off, then the other hens will squawk too....it's like i have a flock of geese instead. they don't do it all the time, and i go to check on them and they're just walking around the yard, squawking like something's upset their nest (you know the hullabaloo) does anyone have a guess as to the cause of this behavior?

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Are they laying? Often they cackle when they've just laid an egg, or seen another egg, ...or think about an egg, or remember the nice egg they laid yesterday.

Some times it's because of the instructions they're receiving from their Mother Ship orbiting the planet...

3. Chickies

Mar 24, 2008
    Northeast Florida
    yes they're laying, and they do indeed cackle about their eggs, or their nest, or somebody else's egg, especially someone else hogging the nest they prefer... it's just been a while since my major squawker laid an egg this morning (at least i'm pretty sure she did, she was cackling with the rest in the nesting area)...unless she didn't lay one and wants to...? i don't hear them now, so i suppose they're worked out whatever it was

4. Chickies

Mar 24, 2008
    Northeast Florida
    i was thinking that the squawking chicken seemed upset or something, but hens make big fusses about so little (it seems) that i don't know if i could tell whether or not a chicken is distressed

5. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    They do make the most lovely sounds don't they?

This morning I walked around the corner and must have suprised them. One cockeral screeched and then the next, etc, etc.. it sounded like a siren!

My whole bunch does the noise party when someone is talking about laying an egg.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I could hear my BR this morning from our bedroom. She was doing the egg song for the egg she'd found in the nest when she went in to lay her own egg. As soon as I took her sister's egg away she shut up.

However when I went to collect her egg later, she heard me come out the back door and HONKED... and I swear this is true... she BUGLED "charge". I [​IMG] honking chickens.

7. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    DOUBLE [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by