Squawking hen, of is she choking??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henpecked4ever, Oct 8, 2012.

1. henpecked4ever

henpecked4ever New Egg

Dec 18, 2011
    i have this one light brahma hen that every time she feeds, she lets out giant squawks that look like she is choking. this goes on until she finishes. i am sure she is not showing she's the queen of the hill or anything like that. she has plenty of water around if she wants a drink. as a matter of fact she is doing it now as i type. she lays great eggs and seems totally healthy except for this squawking thing that keeps going on. btw she is a year old, very large, and great hen. hate to loose her if something is wrong or she infects the rest of the flock. any of you guys have any ideas??

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Nope sounds like she is doing well other than the squawk, I have an older hen that sounds like she has the hiccups other than that she is doing everything else just fine.

3. NotYou

NotYou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2012
    Nothing to worry about.

4. amillecay

amillecay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Mine actually used to sneeze when they ate but it was only when they ate and they were extremely healthy chickens so I wouldn't worry about it.

5. little farmer

little farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that she's eating too fast. Sometimes the food kinda gets stuck up in their throat. She's okay.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by