squawking while laying

aitchbe

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
One of my girls makes ALOT of noise when she's laying, sort of like the alarm sound they make when there is a predator in the yard. Is she in pain? It sounds like she's having a hard time and this is a newer behavior. It's really loud, so I don't like the idea that it will be a daily thing that could disturb the neighbors and more importantly, that she could be having some kind of trouble passing the egg. Is there anything I can do? Is this normal behavior?

All of mine were quite loud when they first began to lay; after about 5-6 eggs, they quieted down.

They've been laying for over two months and the squawking just started a week or so ago. ???

well.the eggs are probably getting bigger and firmer......I squawked more when my kids got bigger and bigger
lol.png

Ok. I wondered if it was just the size thing. I've added oyster shell to the feed because i was getting some eggs with barely a shell holding the egg in. Maybe I should back off a bit on the ratio? Do their vents ever "dry out"? or need moisturizing? it seems like a wierd thing to do but I don't want them to be in pain everyday.

Last edited:
mine are very loud when they lay its not really hurting them extremly just imagen a woman giving birth thats just what its like there fine there giving the other hens a warning not to mess with them becase she is laying an egg;)
cool.png

I read in a book that when they are in the wild they usually go off and lay by themselves. When they do this the others tend to wander off, so when they lay, it is instinct, they squawk as if to say hey I am over here laying my eggs, don't leave me

Sounds nice, I like that....
jumpy.gif
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom