Squeaking Pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jrleek, Oct 14, 2013.

1. jrleek

jrleek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    I have 9 4-month old pullets. On Friday I noticed my Ameraucana pullet started making this weird wheezing noise plus an occasional squeaky sneeze. Then she stopped, then on Saturday I noticed it again. She doesn't seem to do either when she eats, but she was making the wheezing noise at night, no squeaking though.

You can see a video here: She's the beige one walking around behind the barred rock. She's making pretty much the only noise you hear, and you can see her head bob when she squeaks.

I've had chickens with CRD before, but I've never had one squeak like this. I haven't noticed any other symptoms. She eats and drinks fine, she isn't lethargic. I can't see any discharge or anything.

Is it possible it's just normal for some birds? I've never had an Ameraucana before. I have another coop that's empty right now. I could separate her.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    It could be dust in the coop. I had one that only squeaked at night and it took me a week to figure out that the drought we had at the time made it overly dusty in the coop. After I figured it out, I would lightly mist the coop bedding (sand) just before roosting and she was fine. After the first rain I no longer had to do it. Worth a shot to try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by