Squeamish in my old age

Pye Wacket

In the Brooder
Nov 13, 2020
It occurs to me that IF I can find a town where I can actually have a coop (I have another thread on the subject of a town that passed backyard chicken ordinances that seem to make it impossible to keep chickens given the size in fact of the majority of lots in town) - I am not going to be able to slaughter my spent hens anymore.

The truth is I've ALWAYS been a bit squeamish - I quit eating dark meat at the age of 5 after I bit into a drumstick (which up to that point I LOVED) and found myself staring at a great big ol' dark stringy vein. And yeah, I knew EXACTLY what I was looking at. I do eat chicken thighs now but lets face it, modern factory chicken "dark meat" is, for all intents and purposes, indistinguishable from white meat because they virtually never move their entire 6 to 8 week life. 57 years later and I STILL can't even think about eating a drumstick, even wings gross me out more often than not so I've stopped eating buffalo wings also.

Nevertheless, while my chicken-jointing-and-filleting skills never matched those of Martin Yan, I could disassemble a chicken carcass handily and without much distress in just a few minutes. I've plucked a fair number in my childhood, and when I kept my own, I've skinned a few (easier and less smelly than plucking).

But recently I bought some whole chickens which I'd gotten out of the habit of because (a) I haven't seen a stewing hen in decades (in a grocery), (b) I never cared for roast chicken so haven't bought a roaster in the same number of decades, and (c) for many of those decades I would only eat chicken breasts anyway. Not only did I make a hash of the the disassembly, I got SERIOUSLY grossed out. And now that I am thinking of keeping a few hens (for the first time in a couple decades) I find contemplating slaughtering the spent hens is ... well ... not to be contemplated.

I'm starting to understand that perhaps the work involved in keeping them was not the ONLY reason my grandmother stopped keeping chickens.

Has anybody else out there struggled with this, becoming LESS able with time to do the deed?

Keep in mind, it isn't eating my spent hens that is at issue. If someone ELSE were to do the slaughtering, I'd be good with the eating. Hopefully on the meat forum I'm not upsetting people who keep hens as pets.

But there is no way I'm going to be able to handle doing the deed myself anymore and I'm not really sure why. Anybody else had to struggle with this?

I think you will get used to it. It just like cleaning (caught) fish before it can be eaten - there is no eating it if someone is not gonna clean it first. And then of course someone needs to cook it. Totally not a restaurant-like.

I’ve raised meat birds, but I would never process or eat them myself. I’d sell them, though.

Yeah, if and when I manage to find a place where I can actually have a coop again, I think the only plan that will work is to buy more birds than I need, sell off the ones I don't want to keep about the time they'd start laying (because buying less than 25 birds is stupidly expensive with shipping) and then keep doing that every year, selling off a couple of my 1 or 2 yo birds to rotate them out. Given I'm not up to culling them. And a 1 or 2 yo bird still has plenty of life left in it for egg-laying.

I will miss the great stock from old stewing hens though.

I think you will get used to it. It just like cleaning (caught) fish before it can be eaten - there is no eating it if someone is not gonna clean it first. And then of course someone needs to cook it. Totally not a restaurant-like.

Ummm, no. No, I will not. I can't even joint a grocery store carcass. I WAS used to it, now I can't get over it. I've been there. There is no place for sqeamishness in this. You need to kill the bird quick and without hesitation. Otherwise its incredibly cruel to everyone involved, the human as much as the chicken.

Also given I'd be in town this go-round, I'm pretty sure it needs to be a TOTALLY stealth operation. Me wretching while a half-killed bird screams would be both cruel AND non-stealthy. Its got to be done quickly and cleanly. The smell alone from plucking would be a dead giveaway so they have to be skinned. I'm pretty sure doing one bird at a time QUICKLY and CLEANLY would work (because slaughtering ALWAYS has a smell that gets worse with each bird) but ... the Q&C is not in me any more.

Oddly enough, with fish its the exact opposite. I have no trouble CLEANING them, but catching them grosses me out. Give me an already dead fish, I'll clean it ok (though my filleting skills are pretty much gone), but I don't want to have to catch them.

Cooking is ALWAYS OK.

EDIT: I guess that's not actually "the exact opposite". But sort of. In neither case can I bring myself to kill the animal, but I can still clean and cook a fish but not the chicken.

Last edited:
If you feel so passionately about being squeamish, why do you need to kill them? I feel the same way about their meat (I can only eat the breasts as well) and I’m going to let my hens just live out their lives. You could making your hens pets so you don’t feel like your feeding them for nothing. I have done that and they provide me with many laughs and smiles. I like them better than my cats or dog.

If you feel so passionately about being squeamish, why do you need to kill them? I feel the same way about their meat (I can only eat the breasts as well) and I’m going to let my hens just live out their lives. You could making your hens pets so you don’t feel like your feeding them for nothing. I have done that and they provide me with many laughs and smiles. I like them better than my cats or dog.

Look, no offense, but I don't keep livestock as pets.

I got REALLY tired (when I had acreage) of people trying to foist their no-longer-cute easter lambs off on me that had grown up to be full-fledged rams that wanted to sit in your lap.

Pets are pets. Livestock is livestock. I can only keep 5 or 6 birds and I expect them to lay for me. If not - they are for the stew pot, and if I can't put them there, that's a problem.

I have never ever named any of my livestock and I don't plan to start now.

EDIT:

Just as an aside - I do keep pet birds and I DO NOT allow them to fly around loose out of their cages. Of course they have HUGE cages that they can actually fly in, but I still get flak from people who think I'm a big ol' meany for not letting my finches and parakeets fly around loose pooping wherever they feel like. I don't want to have to go around searching for each and every splat to keep my house clean, and quite frankly, I don't want to be in the house of someone who doesn't. (And while we're at it, I think clipping wings so they can't fly is even worse than keeping them caged - what good is being loose in a large space when you can't fly but just have to hop around like a kangaroo?)

This is why I don't keep any bird larger than a parakeet - I don't have the space to allow them a large enough space that they can still fly around in, where they are still confined and easy to clean up after, and I won't let them loose in the house. Chickens are right out. They are MEANT to be tasty!

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to find someone that can butcher and part them for you, maybe giving them half the meat?

To your basic question

Has anybody else out there struggled with this, becoming LESS able with time to do the deed?

my answer is no. That has not been an issue with me. I now use a hatchet instead of an ax, they are easier to handle but that's physical, a hatchet is lighter. I do understand that we change with age. When I was a youth in my 40's or even 50's I had no fear of high places, now I do not like high places at all. They don't have to be that high.

Don't beat yourself up about it. We are all different.

Also given I'd be in town this go-round, I'm pretty sure it needs to be a TOTALLY stealth operation. Me wretching while a half-killed bird screams would be both cruel AND non-stealthy. Its got to be done quickly and cleanly. The smell alone from plucking would be a dead giveaway so they have to be skinned. I'm pretty sure doing one bird at a time QUICKLY and CLEANLY would work (because slaughtering ALWAYS has a smell that gets worse with each bird) but ... the Q&C is not in me any more.

Oddly enough, with fish its the exact opposite. I have no trouble CLEANING them, but catching them grosses me out. Give me an already dead fish, I'll clean it ok (though my filleting skills are pretty much gone), but I don't want to have to catch them.

I think you partly overthink this, and partly misinformed, and I was there when needed to cull about 7 roosters from the straight run hatch the very first time. Was even considering shooting them from the pellet rifle (for the purpose of distancing myself from the unpleasant deed). Turns out the easiest way to cull a bird:
1) take it out from the roost during the dark time (no chasing drama)
2) put bird's neck in between 2 nails driven into 6x6 block or any other heavy solid flat piece of wood, while holding the bird with your non-dominnant hand by the legs
3) use machete (wide blade, sharp) instead of (dull, narrow) axe
4) if you get yourself to swing it, the deed is done at once, there is no way to miss the neck
5) just need to hold the bird in the bucket for a minute or so to avoid it running around

I am not sure what kind of slaughtering smell you are talking about that applies to chickens and how close your neighbors are and if there is a fence, but I assume you can do whatever you want in your house as to gutting and plucking or skinning. I would certainly would not set up the chopping block in neighbors plain view. Just trying to help...

I'm sure you're trying to be helpful - but ... misinformed? REALLY?

I have done this before. I prefer killing cones myself. I just no longer feel like doing it any more.

Blood and guts smell. If you don't notice it, good for you. But most people do. And there is NO WAY I would bleed a chicken out inside my house. Yuck! Not for me.

At any rate. I was wondering if it was just me. Someone who was not particularly bothered when butchering before but has gotten to the place in old age where now its a big hairy deal.

Apparently it IS just me, LOL!

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to find someone that can butcher and part them for you, maybe giving them half the meat?

To your basic question

my answer is no. That has not been an issue with me. I now use a hatchet instead of an ax, they are easier to handle but that's physical, a hatchet is lighter. I do understand that we change with age. When I was a youth in my 40's or even 50's I had no fear of high places, now I do not like high places at all. They don't have to be that high.

Don't beat yourself up about it. We are all different.

I don't know how, but I TOTALLY missed this. Another sign of old age, I guess, LOL!

I thought of that and frankly even when I last had chickens I had a friend who came over to help. But we were both working at it, he didn't do it FOR me. I could be wrong ... but I sort of assumed that there are a ton and a half of city chicken keepers who are already flooding the market, asking someone to do it for them, that the few folks left these days who still know how and still do it are probably as tired of being asked to kill things for someone else as I was of being asked to take on unruly adult rams.

Since I normally kept my hens for at least 4 or 5 years, I suppose I shouldn't worry about this so much right off the bat, but I'm big on having things IN PLACE beforehand and not scrambling like an idiot at the last minute. When I seriously started thinking about how to manage culling the flock, it was only then that I realized I wasn't going to be able to do it, even with just a small 5 or 6 bird flock.

Come to think of it, my dad was the same way. He grew up during the depression and did a lot of farm labor as a kid to help his family (they lived in a tarpaper shack in a shanty town, he started working as farm labor when he was about 9). He used to say the time he hated the most was hog killing time. I won't describe it further. He told me about getting his first rifle and going out with his friends to shoot squirrels. He shot one and never touched that rifle again. He gave it to his younger brother after that, who had no such qualms.

Maybe its genetic, LOL!

EDIT: I just noticed in your sig:

" This too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone, but it will pass. "

LOL! So true.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom