Squeezing the yolk out of chicks ????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by giasmom, May 18, 2009.

1. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Okay, can someone tell me if my brother is pulling my leg or not. He says he saw an episode of" Dirty Jobs" and that they were vent sexing chicks. But that they also squeeze the yolk out of day olds to keep them from having belly aches, and that this makes healthier chicks. So is he pulling my leg? Or does anyone actually do this?

2. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    It was poo. [​IMG]

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Yep Sorry to say but it WAS Poo...

4. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Well now that would make more sense. So does anyone squeeze the poo out of their day olds ?

5. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I don't. I can't stand the thought of squeezing chicks until they poo. I spend too much time cleaning it as it is. [​IMG]

6. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] It's just poo that the "sexers" squeeze out of the day olds. I watched that episode of dirty jobs too. What was happening was the people at McMurray's hatchery were vent sexing the chicks so that people get the correct sex of chick, and the reason they give the chick a little squeeze to get some poo out is so the chick doesn't poo on them when they are checking the vent. I hope that answered some questions [​IMG]

7. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Yep, all is clear now. Just kicked the crap out of him little bro for making me look so stupid on here. He is just hee-hawing over it !!![​IMG]:lau:lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by