Squirrel chasing rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Bantam Bodon, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    The other day i watched my dad's rooster chase a squirrel away from the flock. I laughed because i thought this was really strange. I think the squirrel was surprised by it and im sure the rooster thought he was some sort of a threat. Thats a rooster that takes his job seriously. Have you guys ever watched your rooster chase something strange like that?

2. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    I've never witnessed a rooster do this but nearly every day my ducks chase away squirrels from their feeder. Occasionally one of the squirrels will get tired of being chased off and actually starts chasing the ducks. It's funny to watch

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have a hen that hates squirrels. The other day I watched her chasing one and then the squirrel turned around to face her. She stood her hackles up like a rooster and pounced on it. The squirrel took off running. It is funny to see this kind of stuff and how the flock works to protect the others. That squirrel wanted her treats and she wasn't having no part in sharing. LOL

4. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    Mine patrol the yard chasing away the crows!

5. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    Thats good, crows are the bullies of the bird world.

6. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Wow, mine are really relaxed I guess. Today this little guy came into the pen a few times and no one seemed to get upset [​IMG] Isn't he cute [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

He is cute! Mine don't mind the doves when they come eat. Sometimes, though, they will eat all their food!

8. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    I would like to know what he is. Anyone have an idea?

9. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    maybe your roo wanted to eat the squirrel. my chickens love eating mice. [​IMG]

wish i could tell you what the bird is, i'm only familiar with the local birds. i get birds like chickadees, nuthatches, robins, pine grossbeak, even magpies! and they all like sharing treats with my birds [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  10. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    that is a cute little bird!
    My chickens are terrified of all things outdoorsy at the moment, but i am blaming it on the fact they havent been outside for long lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by