squirrel-free home made feeders

cook_kaka_ook

Songster
13 Years
Oct 29, 2009
Help!!!
I know these squirrels won't physically harm my flock but are a bunch of pesky free-loaders. Does any BYC member has one? Any ideas?

I can only wish that we had squirrels--sigh--not too many in the low desert. I think I've seen 4 or 5 in the Phoenix area in the last 25 years. But that number may be high
sad.png

Roof rats, however, we have plenty of them. Another big sigh.

Since a squirrel can reach as high as any chicken, I doubt you will find anything that your chickens can eat out of that the squirrels can't.

But, if you find such a feeder, I know we all would like to see it.

Jean

Quote:
My husband says squirrels are nothing but "tree rats" - I love them, myself, however, I know they can be QUITE destructive in large numbers. We don't have many here, but the few we have don't go anywhere near my chicken pens, and I honestly believe its because the chickens scare them off.

My mother who lives in suburban Ann Arbor, MI has a HUGE problem with squirrels. They eat her potted plants, dig up her planted ones, plant peanuts and corn in her perennial garden (had corn growing among her sedums and coneflowers), scare birds away from her feeder. She "borrows" my dog once in awhile to chase them as her dog is too old and lazy. Our chickens do a superb job of keeping them out of the run and our dog keeps them away from our bird feeders. If you have a dog and see a squirrel near the chickens, let the dog out to chase it. After a couple of close calls, they start to learn;)

Back
Top Bottom