Squirrel problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChandaH, May 2, 2011.

1. ChandaH

ChandaH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    So my set up is a small coop with a little run where I leave the door open to the run during the day to let the chickens free range in the pasture. I don't have a 'predator' problem with the chickens because I have a Livestock Guardian Dog.

What I do have is a problem with squirrels eating my chicken feed and now on top of that stealing and eating my eggs right in the coop.

My chickens are now afraid to roost IN the coop and end up roosting in the run at night with the gate locked. I think the squirrels in the coop have scared them one too many times and now other than laying, they don't go in there.

So, I am going to finish sealing up the run so that when the door is closed no squirrels can get in but that still leaves the issue of when the door is open during the day???

What can I do to keep the squirrels out and away from my eggs?

Right now we are trapping and I am trying to get the eggs twice a day... Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Chanda

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I had this problem. Until I let my beagle mix squirrel hating dog out with the chickens. Good luck. Since I have not been free ranging my girls except when I am out there the door is not open and they can't get through the wire.

3. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

You wanna borrow my Jack Russell? I try to feed the squirrels and he won't let them in the yard, lol.
    I really don't have any suggestions unless you want to shoot them. Squirrels are pretty smart and they can be hard to trap. I wonder if you try feeding the squirrels in another area if it would defer them from going to the chicken coop?

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Pellet gun or a 22 rifle will work great [​IMG]

5. ChandaH

Jun 11, 2010
    My hubby was thinking about shooting them. We live on 40 acres and we have billions of squirrels so it will be a HUGE job!
    Chanda

6. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

7. ChandaH

Jun 11, 2010
    I searched and got nothing. Not sure why.

All my dogs and sheep are terrified of gunfire so hunting them makes it hard. We also have workers about so allowing strangers on our property with guns could be slightly dangerous! Our vineyard workers don't tend to wear orange vests, hehe.

8. cooper38

cooper38 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Deep Gap, NC
    Seperate pile of corn for the tree rats. When they gather up to eat let loose with the 12ga. If your lucky you can get two or three in one shot.[​IMG]

9. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Find you some teenage boys getting into hunting and it wont be such a big job [​IMG]

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would recommend putting some food piles in other areas and when they come shoot them. Eventually the numbers will dwindle. I can not think of any other way to deal with egg eating squirrels who, like mice, can squeeze in through very narrow places. I would shoot,shoot,and shoot some more till the numbers are down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by