squirrel problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nuchickontheblock, Jul 8, 2011.

1. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I have always enjoyed watching the acrobatic antics of grey squirrels and feed and water wild birds in my yard -- so essentially for many years I have been also feeding and encouraging the squirrels to live in my yard. Now I have a baby squirrel that is trying to get into my coop, run, etc.

Suddenly, he's not so cute anymore. The girls were out free-ranging this morning, but went nuts chasing him when he started to go into the coop. I know they are opportunistic feeders and will try to eat chicken feed, scratch etc., but will he harm my bantams or eat eggs?? If so, my DH will take care of him.

How can I discourage squirrels from going into the coop/run, when I leave the run open so the free-ranging girls can go in and out??

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Yes they will eat eggs... Your choices are.

Secure the coop so you are sure it can not enter and stop feeding them

or

pellet gun.

3. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I think my DH will be taking care of them over the weekend.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I doubt that I have ever lost an egg to a squirrel.. (not saying they WON'T eat eggs.. just that the squirrels I have been around don't make it their top priority)... they are too busy raiding the feed pan

we call them "fancy tailed tree rats"...

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Yes I think different species have different tastes and we were actually very surprised to find one sneaking into our coop during the day and eating an egg here and there. We initially thought the chickens were doing it....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by