Squirrel Tail genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Layira, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Layira

Layira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Does anyone know squirrel tail genetics? Like is it dominant or possessive and how does it translate into offspring? Is it easy to breed out? And at what age can you tell whether or not a chicken has it?

A judge at a chicken show had made a note on the cage about squirrel tail on a few of my birds, but I wasn't disqualified from the show even though it says in the Standard of Perfection that in most breeds it's a disqualification. Was that because they didn't know for sure what angle it was? I've heard that specifically squirrel tail is a tail angle over 90 degrees, but I know for a fact that at least one of the birds in that instance does not have that high of a tail angle.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Hummm im interested in this too, anyone know?

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Usually, a squirrel tail coincides with a short back. Breed the roo to hens with longer backs. Same goes for short backed hens, breed to a roo with a nice long back and correct tail set. Works for me. [​IMG]

4. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Squirrel tail is recessive.

5. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    I don't understand why everyone hates squirrel tails! [​IMG] I think my rooster's ST is adorable! [​IMG]

6. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Erin~TheChickenLover :

I don't understand why everyone hates squirrel tails! [​IMG] I think my rooster's ST is adorable! [​IMG]

Its not that we "Hate them" but there a disqualification so its undesirable with the exception of japs​

7. Layira

Layira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Quote:Okay, makes sense. Does it tend to show up again in later generations after the intial breeding to correct? Like how many times would you have to breed out for the trait to become less likely to show up? Or does it generally 'go away' pretty easily?

Thanks minnesotachickenbreeder, good to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by