1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Squirrels and pellet guns

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kscottjoyce, Apr 23, 2011.

1. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Hey,
    Just wondering if a pellet or BB gun would just sting squirrels or if they actually are powerful enough to kill them. Squirrels are all over my coop eating the chicken food. Thanks for any info you can give.

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I think alot would depend on the shot placement, if you hit them in the eye it could kill them I would think. I have killed mice with pellets.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i had this same problem. Not sure if a bb or pellet gun would kill or just injure them. You certainly don't want a squirrel hobbling off to die in agony, even annoying as it is having them invade your pens.

Since i hate the thought of hurting anything, i opted to trap my offending squirrels and take them for a drive to a nice wooded area a ways away. i only had a couple offending squirrels, so this option worked for me.

Edited to add: i know a pellet gun will kill a large rat.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  4. Drover

Drover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Pellet guns will definitely kill them ( around here some people hunt squirrels with pellet guns) and a well placed bb will kill them too. You can sting them with a bb gun if you shoot from a farther distance.

5. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Definitely will if you are a good shot- head or chest. If you hit the thigh or stomach you'd better be able to get off a second shot very quickly, you don't want to leave them wounded and living with a piece of lead shot in them.

6. yallwatchthis

yallwatchthis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    pensacola
    you can also wipe out a colony of squirrels with rat poison. just keep it away from the dogs and chickens.

7. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Rat poison would work except I would have no way of keeping it from the chickens. Don't want to take the chance.

8. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

pellet gun will kill them with one shot

bb gun will stun then you go and pick it up and put it in a bucket and just keep shooting it with ur bb gun for about 5 min

tried both and they both work

9. ModestMouse

ModestMouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Pellet gun oughta work.

I also set out live traps. They hunt for you while you're sleeping or working. Never know what you'll find in them. I've caught the barn cat a couple times. Got some racoons and opossums. Never trapped a squirrel, though. You'd have to do a little research on squirrels.

10. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I use a Silouette Sport Pistol Air gun By Crossman with a 4.5mm pellet and I can take a squirrel out no problem. If I am closer than 50 feet I have no problem getting a good head shot. They are so darn brazen they are usually within 20 feet looking at me when I shoot. This is powerfull enough for squirrels and probably even small weasels or racoons. Do your research before you buy [​IMG]

I would do a bit of predator proofing on your coop too. Nothing gets into my coop unless invited [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by