Squirrels=BEWARE?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickiezz, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Chickiezz

Chickiezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Squirrels will eat baby birds when they are hungry....so will that mean they will eat chicks!?

2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:They will eat whatever they can if they are hungry and there is a opportunity. I caught one trying to reach it's grubby paws into my brooding pen a few months back. Crows and most other wild birds have a ongoing battle with the squirrels they will rob their nests. Usually though they are unsuccessful with crow nests, crows have a mean disposition when messed with.

3. Chickiezz

Apr 14, 2009
    Ok...I will watch out for them. Thanks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Hard ware cloth (1/4 inch squares) are best for securing all your birds, but especially your babies. Once the babies grow up...watch out squirrels!!! They are on the hens dinner plans if they linger to long.
    Good luck- thank heavens its only the chipmonks that get in after food !

5. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    You might try a squirrel feeding area away from the chicks. I normally don't believe in feeding wild animals, but they love field corn on the cob. And it also makes them nice, fat, and tasty for frying.

6. Chickiezz

Apr 14, 2009
    I like squirrels but I don't think I would like them to eat though.....

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I had a crazy tame squirrel in Nebraska. That thing scared me it came so close until the neighbors told me it was a pet someone left behind. Then I just fed it and took lots of closeup photos of it. Don't know what happened to it after we moved. They used to drive me crazy raiding my bird feeders. Out here we have too much open land so they prefer to stay across the road in the woods. [​IMG] Thank Goodness. They are cute but pests at the same time.

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Obelisk has been beaten up by a squirrel...
    But tonight she ran a couple out of the yard...I'm wondering if it was because she was on her way to get a cookie...
    And I have seen a squirrel scoop a baby sparrow out of the birdhouse with the parents screaming at him. [​IMG]

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:Agreed! LOL

10. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    I have seen squirrels raid nests and steal eggs as well as babies. Around here they seem to really love flicker eggs the best....they raid every flicker nest they can get into

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by