Squirrels eating at feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by spinmom, Dec 3, 2008.

1. spinmom

spinmom New Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    Hi -
    This is my first post! Does anyone have any ideas for keeping squirrels out of the feeders? They are eating as much as my chickens. I have my feeders hanging inside the coop and they come and go as they please.
    I have read you can add cayenne pepper but wouldn't that bother the chickens and make the eggs taste funny?

thanks
    Gina

2. papadekaitlyn

papadekaitlyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    I'd just shoot the squirrels... Mighty tasty in a stew...

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    This is exactly why I can't keep a feeder outside of the coop [​IMG] The squirrels would devour 40lbs in a day, I am sure.

I have to feed my free range guineas 3x a day during winter because I can't keep out a dang feeder! I'll be watching this thread for ideas. [​IMG]

4. clayhill

clayhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    Squirrels make better dumplings than chickens![​IMG]

5. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I have the same problem and I really don't know what to do either...I have watched the squirrels take a whole ear of corn at a time. They take what they can carry. Maybe we could get some one to design a feeder that the chickens could eat out of..but it would be impossible for squirrels!! Any feed designers out there?

6. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Quote:GINA, WELCOME TO BYC [​IMG]

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Chickens can't taste spicy things. It won't harm them. Some say it even helps egg production.

I doubt there is anything that a chicken can get into that a squirrel can't. The only way I can think of is if the hole is made small enough that only the chicken beak fits but then things like corn might not fit without the hole being big enough for the squirrels to get some out. Squirrels are much more agile and intelligent than chickens. If a chicken can work a feeder a squirrel can. All my feeders are in the coop and the squirrels avoid going in there. Every now and then they make off with some sunflower seeds but otherwise they have been avoiding the coop since I moved the chickens out there.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Just wanted to say [​IMG]

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

You need a feeder with a door that is opened by a large foot peddle. So when a chicken stands in front of the feeder his weight opens the feeder. Squirrels are lite.

10. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

There was a chipmunk sitting inside my feeder base, eating the food underneath of it. [​IMG]

But, it was really cold out, and it ate so little, so I decided to leave it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by