Squirrels

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Claudias Coop, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Claudias Coop

Claudias Coop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Are Squirrels a threat to chickens?

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I would not think so except for eating their food. I might be wrong. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

3. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Generally not to anything big enough to defend itself. Chicks are at risk, and some bantams could be if they're unlucky and the squirrel is big. But for the most part I wouldn't worry about anything other than chicks.

4. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    Hi Its been our experience that theonly problem with squirells is that they eat the food and alot of it. they also made a home in the outside rafters of our coop. I do wonder if i should be concerned about flees or lice or somethin but have never seen any on my birds and do check under their feathers often.
    They will however find any opening that they can fit into to get the food. we have double chicken wired our run for this reason. They are very determined.
    good luck

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I've seen them go after bird eggs now and then, but usually they like chicken feed, cracked corn, and other bird seed.

6. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:If a squirrel can get in so will mice, rats, possums and anything else that can squeeze through the same hole.

7. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    If the chickens are large breeds then it's the squirrels that had better watch out! I only have one squirrel around and not in my yard much. I have witnessed first hand chickens killing and eating sparrows.

8. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    we have since put another layer of wire arround the run so they (the squirrels) cant get in any longer but thanks for the heads up

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They will steal food AND steal eggs. They are destructive evil little tree rats. The ones in my neighborhood destroy so many of my crops. I was trapping and relocating, now I trap and kill. I butchered one and it was FAT inside from all the feed it stole. (Squirrels are supposed to be a lean meat.),

They strip my apple trees, my grapevines and my pear trees. Last year they ate all my pumpkins when they were small so I had to buy pumpkins.

My idiot neighbors also give them treats!!! [​IMG] I HATE SQUIRRELS!!!

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    We have people who love the squirrels where I live, too. There were so many digging holes (we have all ground squirrels here) that people were hurting themselves by tripping into them, so they poisoned most of the squirrels.

I remember this poor killdeer couple trying to start a nest, but the squirrels kept eating their eggs almost as soon as they were laid. And, they would chase the parents around, too!

On the plus side, the squirrels kept the hawks so busy that they hardly ever bothered chasing and hunting birds.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by