Squirt gun for disipline?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clucky2, Oct 22, 2009.

1. clucky2

clucky2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    Anyone ever use a squirt gun or super soaker on thier chickens as a way to stop unwanted behavior? I have a silky getting pushed around by 2 of my other hens. I thought a good blast of water when they start giving her the evil eye might help curtail it. I'd also like to try it when they go into sensitive areas in the yard.
    What ya'll thinkin' "bout that?!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    LOL we do that to our dogs...I usually just get the broom out and they are scared of it for some reason and they move... I did have to get physical with one of my chickens the other day because she went after my dog! For some reason they think that they are my "muscle" when our dogs act up... I am not sure how they would react to water though as their feathers are somewhat water proof...

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:I haven't tried it on my current flock, but the hens i used to have HATED the water hose! But i've heard others say their chickens loved the water hose. So, it just depends on your chickens. [​IMG]

4. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I wouldn't use water, birds can get very chilled if wet and die even in moderate temperatures.

I was thinking of getting one of those ping pong ball shooters for the same purpose, though!

5. niallliam

niallliam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Athlone - Ireland
    I have had great success with this method. My flower beds deserve the peace!

6. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I used a small squirt bottle with a rooster who used to try to attack me. Eventually all I had to do was walk into the run with the bottle in hand and he'd back up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by