Squished a Brand new baby! Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickmama320, Jun 6, 2011.

1. chickmama320

chickmama320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    I just got home with my 5 brand new babies.... like an hour ago. There are 3-4 day old Barred Rocks. I had them outside for about 45 minutes (its about 80 degrees and they were hiding in the shade. So I brought them inside and I was putting them in a cat carrier. Well stupid me, wasn't paying attention and one of theme was trying to sneak out the other side of the carrier door (when the door is open there is like a 1 inch opening on the "swivle side") Well, I didn't see little miss was there. I didn't close the door all the way but it did kinda squish her. At first she ran away. Now she is just laying on her side, breathing very heavily, open mouth. If I pet her on the side then she is responsive. She just doesn't want to sit/ or stand.
    Actually as I am typing this she is perking up a little bit, but I'm worried that she may be slowly dying, but hopping that she is just stunned.... help. What do I do? Haven't had babies in 2 years and this is only my second time with the babies. HELP!!

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I'm sorry you had that accident.

Do you see any bleeding or swelling anywhere? Do you know where she got squished? Was it a bump to her head or did her body get squished?

3. chickmama320

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    It was more of her body... like upper body. I'm kinda thinking maybe leg or wing injury. She has perked up. I have her sitting in a towel on the computer desk with me. She is actually more laying like she is roosting rather than being on her side. Still heavy breathing. But when I try to get her to stand, she kinda falls over to the left side. No blood or swelling.

4. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    If she is taking short breaths instead of deep breaths, she could have a rib injury, either just bruised or broken. Deep breaths would be painful, so she would take short, quick breaths. I'm not sure if a vet can do anything other than confirm an injury if that is the issue. For humans, a rib injury is treated with rest and limited movement (no twisting or lifting until the injury is completely healed).

My other concern would be a punctured lung or internal bleeding, but I don't really know enough to tell you how to diagnose that. She will become lethargic from blood loss if she is bleeding internally. If she stays perked up, that is probably not an issue.

Is there an avian vet in your area? A thorough vet assessment can determine if she has a treatable injury.

5. chickmama320

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    She seems to be doing better. She's sitting. Still breathing a little fast, but not as fast as she had been. If I pet her she starts chirping a lot. Trying to figure out what I am gonna do with her in about 20 minutes though cause I have to go pick up hubby and I don't want to put her back in with every one else... but I only have one waterer. I could easily put food in something else.... but I don't really have anything to safely put water in.... I don't want her to drown.
    There isn't really an avian vet around here.

6. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    You can use a shallow dish and fill it with marbles or rocks to more safely raise the level of water where the chick can reach it without drowning.

ADDED: If you put her with the others and she is injured, they may peck her.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by