SQUISHED between the wall and the chunk of cardboard...ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WildBurroShirts.com, Dec 30, 2008.

1. WildBurroShirts.com

WildBurroShirts.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    Hi,

So, it's an older stock tank and to make sure it was sanitary I put black plastic on the bottom, 6 inches of chips, paper towels, then taped a bunch of FedEx boxes around the outer edge to make a buffer between them and the metal tank.

Worked fine until today when I went to clean...kept hearing peeping even after I'd moved everyone...

(In my defense, I do have them seperated so some were in a wire cage in the living room enjoying the sun thru the big windows...I'm not THAT blond [​IMG] I mean, I've been able to count to 15 for years now. Really.)

My tiniest chick had somehow flown up to the top of the cardboard and slid down and I couldn't see her. No idea how long she was there but coulda been from last night until 2 today...if so, no food or water.

But she's moving and eating and drinking now.

Is she ok or do I need to seperate her or take her to the vet?

Thanks for any ideas, I appreciate all of you who have been thru this kinda stuff.

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I think it'll be okay. Just watch it and make sure it eats and drinks fine. If you want you could seperate it for a little while and give it some electrolites in its water.

3. WildBurroShirts.com

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    Oh thank you...I just realized I've been holding my breath waiting for a response!

She's so tiny...she didn't feel exceptionally cold but I had the light off for at least two hours as I'd moved everyone else to either the sun pen in the living room or to the clean pen while I got ready to clean that one.

I give them electrolytes in their water every day: they were hatched Dec 17 by Idea.

Thanks again! [​IMG]

4. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I think she'll be fine. Just make sure she's warm and doing everything normally. I don't think anything will be wrong with her.

BTW, why did you change your screen name? "Burro" used to be something else.

5. WildBurroShirts.com

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    Quote:The moderator changed it. Said there were three complaints.

Kinda bummed me out as we're in parades and the state Governor MC's it in front of the capitol and HE reads our name out and the blurbs about rescuing BLM burros.

But...I don't want to offend anyone so there you go. Blending in with the flock...[​IMG]

6. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I don't see how it was innapropriate, that is what the animal is actually called. Why would someone complain? Maybe they just didn't understand that you were talking about burros. [​IMG]

7. WildBurroShirts.com

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

UPDATE: she's falling over now. She can stand when she gets excited but she's sort of looking like she's drunk: weaving and falling onto her side or propping herself up on one wing. She's in with the big bunch...it's warmer in there. I'm afraid if I seperate her she'll freak out.

Crap!

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i'd separate her, bring her in the house,, feed her some yogurt, and some gatoraide, or sugar water,, and then see how she acts in the morning.

9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Separate her and make sure she is eating and drinking good. You could also put her with 1 other chick so she doesnt get stressed/depressed about it (pick a calm one if you can)

Like the1much said feed her some yogurt, sugar water, you could also cook some eggs and feed them to her.

10. WildBurroShirts.com

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    UPDATE: (and Happy New Year!)

I took your advice, seperated her in a cage with my fave chick, electrolyte vitamin water (the stuff from Meyer), chick starter and gamebird starter, and a heat lamp.

She wobbled and seemed woozy for about another day...then seemed more normal.

What worries me is that she's the runt of the 15: standing side by side as she does in the small cage (and I had them both out on the couch today with me) you can see that she is literally half the size of the other one.

So I think her being tiny and who knows how long or how stressed she was squished there. Plus...it's an old stock tank from the Oregon place so mighta had a tiny bit of mold in a crevice someplace.

But she is now walking normally, cheeping, eating and pooping fine. I'm keeping her in with just the one other chick so I know she gets plenty to eat and has no pecking order issues. Gave them dried strawberries for their treats today.[​IMG]

Thanks for all your support! I was so worried and felt like such a horrible mom to let that happen and not catch it right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by