squished eggs and broody turken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kemclaughlin, Jul 23, 2013.

1. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Songster

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    We have a turken that is huge, she is about 24 weeks and I am fairly certain she has been laying for about two weeks. We were getting some rubber eggs that were being broken. I added calcium to their diet and they seem to have gotten a little better, but then I thought we had egg eaters because there were a few broken eggs. We may still have egg eaters, but I went out to check on them because my brother told me that JD (giant turken) had gooey stuff on her chest. So I went and checked her and she was back in the box sitting on an egg that was flattened like it had been stepped on. It wasn't broken like it had been pecked. Could she have squished it by trying to lay on it? Do turkens commonly become broody? I am wondering if it their eggs are getting harder because I added calcium, but aren't hard enough, so it got smashed.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Songster

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    So I was watching her and she looks broody, but it's because she seems to be hurt. She is limping. I am going to see if it gets better on it's own, but is it possible she is squishing her eggs? Will more calcium in the diet help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: