Squishy Crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sstanyon, Mar 30, 2015.

1. sstanyon

sstanyon New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Hello! I have a chick (around 5 weeks old) that has just sprung back from coccidiosis. The group is on day 3 of medicine and she's acting much better, but I noticed this morning that her crop is a little inflated and feels soft/lumpy. No signs of lethargy or sickness anymore, but the crop is definitely noticeable. Yesterday I fed the group some meal worms as a small treat - and they were given chick grit, too - so I'm wondering if maybe she went for too many meal worms and not enough grit? Gave her more grit this morning and removed food for a bit hoping it will go down on its own. From what I've read about impacted and sour crop, she doesn't seem to look sick or feel distressed - any ideas?

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    It would be highly unusual for a chick that young to have impacted crop. As you said, her crop feels soft, not hard, so it could be she just ate too much that day. Remember, too, that toward the end of the day their crops will appear larger than normal from the feed they've consumed during the day...just keep a watchful eye, I think it will be fine. Just make sure they aren't allowed to eat "long-bladed" grasses...that's a real contributor to impacted crops.

3. sstanyon

sstanyon New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Thank you!! I noticed it earlier this morning and had read that it was a little unusual during morning hours, so that contributed a bit to my nervousness. :) They're still in their brooder and have only had access to chick feed and the one instance of mealworms (with grit) so I'm hoping it may just feed consumed like you've mentioned. I'll keep checking in on her and see how the next few days go. Thanks for your response!

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    At their age they should have a little container of "chick" grit available to them 24/7....they will consume what they need. If you have a lawn take a hand spade and "cut" a small (2-3" squarish) piece of it, dirt and all, and place in their brooder...they will have so much fun pecking at the grass and the dirt, too...believe it or not, it's good for them!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by