"Squishy" egg???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ilovemyrooster, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Ilovemyrooster

Ilovemyrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2007
    I went out to collect eggs this morning and noticed an extremely odd looking egg sitting in the middle of the coop, I picked it up, and its squishy! It feels like a water balloon covered in sandpaper...my hens are about two years old and every egg they've ever laid was normal, hardshelled. They get oyster shell and they are free-range so I can't think it would be a calcium defiecency. Is this just a really weird "oddball" egg or could it be a sign of a problem?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It could be ether. Keep an eye on the flock's production in the coming days and get a sense of whether this was just a misfire.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Shell less eggs are always fun. I have so much trouble resisting throwing them at something. [​IMG] One day my dog was all excited when I came in from the coop and wanted to know what I had so I held out a shell less egg. She took it gently in her mouth (she does have a very soft mouth) held it for a second, and then must have started to close her jaw because it suddenly broke all over her tongue. [​IMG] She immediately dumped it all on the floor in shock and stood there staring at it, then staring at me, then staring at the egg... until finally she must have realized it was egg and licked it back off the floor. It was hilarious to watch.

Shell less eggs do just happen occasionally. I get about one a month and generally my chickens lay such thick shelled eggs I have trouble cracking them so I know they get plenty of calcium.

4. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Probably just a fluck. Just keep an eye out and make sure it doesn't keep happening, that could be a sign of a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by