Squishy Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by agilman, Mar 17, 2016.

1. agilman

agilman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    hello! I have 4 laying hens. 2 of them were not laying for quite some time. but now that we are having longer days, I have one more laying and Im sure the last will be to follow. So all week I have had good eggs. 3 a day no problem. However yesterday I found one in the coop that was a squishy egg.and then again this morning there was one out in the chicken yard. I have read about them and believe they are shell-less eggs. I have oyster shell out for the chickens. I give them meal worms every other day. Corn a few times a week. could any of this have anything to do with why they are laying these eggs? I know that it is the newest layers since my reds (the ones who have been laying) lay in the same spot every day and I was out the working and seen them laying. Anything I should be worried about?Or do differently?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. agilman

Feb 23, 2016
    Ok good. Thank you! She did lay 5 perfect eggs when she started laying.

4. Chicka-Wow

Chicka-Wow New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Greenwood, Arkansas
    I have a seasoned layer who lays daily and I've had two random soft shelled eggs out of her, one being today. I'm not sure what the problem is. They have a large grassy run and I feed egg shells back to them.

5. The Chicken Fan

The Chicken Fan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Oregon
    Mine did that at the beginning too. What I did was scramble it and feed it back to them.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Check the link I posted in the second post for causes of soft-shelled eggs. If it happens now and then only, I wouldn't worry. Even seasoned layers sometimes have a hiccup in the system, sometimes the cause is stress or something not-serious.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. agilman

Feb 23, 2016
    Thank you for your help :) greatly appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by