1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SR- Straight Run Means either sex right?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by chicksgalore, Jul 30, 2008.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I'm shopping and correct me if I'm wrong...SR means you get either sex, 50/50 chance?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    yes.

3. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    It means whatever is hatched, they just grab the number you want and what you get is what you get. Boy's and/or girls.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    In my case for str runs, I have more roos than pullets...sometimes as high as 75 percent roos and rest of them are pullets.

With 17 Welsummers st run chicks, I got only four pullets and rest of them are roosters.

5. chicksgalore

Jul 19, 2008
    That's what I'm afraid of. It always seems like the roos are more plentiful than the pullets. I want to order 2 silkies, in hopes of having at least 1 I can use as a reliant brooder. What do you think my chances are?

6. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Honestly I think it's worth paying to get sexed chicks, especially if you only want a few. My recent hatchery orders ( 3 orders and 150 chicks) were much closer to 75% roos

7. chicksgalore

Jul 19, 2008
    When I have a choice, I am planning to order the females but Ideal didn't give me a choice on the Silkies:(

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If you have to order straight runs, be sure to order more than you need because of the roo ratio vs pullet ratios.

9. jadude

jadude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    sc
    Get sex link you can tell the sex as soon as you get them so you can give away the roos from the start

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by