SS Hamburg 14 weeks - Male?

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
So, Posted pics when this chicken was younger, but now at 14 weeks - looking for confirmation on male - or if possible female. Never has crowed at all. Raised by broody, so not really friendly. Guessing male.

If male, then what are these Silver Spangled Hamburgs like? My family likes the look, but interested in general personality and noisiness. we do have 2 other cockerels (and 18 pullets), but looking to possibly switch out one male for this one if it makes sense.

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 11.02.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 11.03.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 11.03.53 AM.png

Probably a cockerel with the comb and wattles that well developed at 14 weeks. Hamburgs are a flighty breed, so he'll probably be a bit skittish around people. I've had a few Hamburg cocks over the years, and none was aggressive, so there's that, for what it's worth. They also love to roost high up in trees, which can be a problem if you free range your chickens.

Thanks. Not sure if we will keep this one if it is a flighty breed. We don't have too many big trees, and none near the coop, but so far don't love the other flightly breed we have. But, the rest of the family gets to vote, so maybe he'll stay.

Should have been a pullet though. Picked out of the extra bin at Meyer, but all are supposed to be females. We picked 7 chicks and 2 appear to be male: This one and another, so thats a lot higher than the 10% error rate. Oh well, the broody momma hen was happy to get chicks, so that part worked out OK.

Definitely a cockerel.

They’re quite flighty. I’ve raised this breed my entire life and I’ve never had a “tame” one. Even my show birds are still tragically wild compared to other breeds.

If you want a tame bird, find a different breed.

I have an "accidental" Hamburg rooster among my hens--suddenly realized one day that he was acting very un-hen like. He is flighty, but not aggressive, and we don't mind him at all. Trouble is, he's a smallish rooster, and I have a brahma and a Jersey giant--LOL. The girls pick on him. :)

Back
Top Bottom