SS roo out of quaranteen and into brood pen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chooniecat, Feb 22, 2013.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Hes new and put him in brood pen yesterday afternoon and for the 1st 2 hours my BR roo and him fought through the chainlink fence. BR roo eventually left and didn't go to that area again. Looked in on SS roo at roost-time and he was tucked up with blood on his comb. Goodness I may never be able to introduce him into the loose flock if they don't adjust. Also have a mixed cockerel that stayed clear of the whole thing so he's OK. What have I done...........I pray I get some SS chix out of this at least.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Nobody can give you any guarantees as to what the final outcome will be if you let them roam together. With living animals it’s real hard to give guarantees.

That said, they will fight. I sincerely doubt they settled anything through the fence. The BR may have gotten hold of the SS rooster’s comb or he may have damaged it on the fence during their confrontation. It doesn’t really matter. It will heal though it may leave a scar. Make sure it has healed before you let them out together.

It’s possible the roosters will fight to the death. That depends on their personalities. Some roosters will just not stop until one or the other is dead. The loser may be the one that just won’t give up. Size is usually not the critical factor in who wins. The spirit of the rooster counts more than size. It’s not that uncommon for a bantam rooster to dominate a full sized rooster.

Maturity counts too. A fully mature rooster will dominate an immature rooster. As the young one matures, there could be some skirmishes.

What often happens is that they fight a while, sometimes a pretty long while, and one realizes he is losing and runs away. The other chases him a bit but finally accepts his victory. There may be some rematches but usually they work out an accommodation where one is boss and the other is a reliable sidekick that can work in partnership to protect the flock. I think it is critical that they have enough room for the loser to run away.

That’s probably what is going on with your mixed cockerel though it sounds like he may still be too immature to challenge the boss. It’s very possible he will challenge the boss for top spot when he matures and it is also very possible they’ll settle this without you ever seeing a thing since he is maturing with the flock.

With those breeds and if you have enough room for the loser to run away, I think you have a pretty good chance they will work out an accommodation, though it could get pretty violent while they are doing that. Remember I don’t give guarantees other than expect a fight.

I’ve seen multiple roosters work out these accommodations in many different ways. A pretty common one is that they split the hens into separate harems with the flock spending most of its time split into two separate flocks. They’ll still roost together and peacefully forage together occasionally but most of the time they are split.

I’ve seen two roosters hang with each other more than with the hens. The eggs are still fertilized and they still know which one is boss, but they just seemed to like each other’s company.

You cannot be sure which rooster fertilized which egg, even if they split the flock into harems. The subordinate rooster will still fertilize a lot of the hens. They just might need to sneak behind the woodpile where the dominant one doesn’t see them.

There are risks involved when you integrate any chickens. Those risks go up a bunch when you integrate two adult roosters. A lot of the times at the end of the day it works out, but with two mature roosters it’s probably not going to be pretty getting there.

Good luck!

3. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Thanks-I KNEW there might be problems but wanted some SS chicks and fortunately I do have a seperate area for him now. Its not immperitive I keep him but hes a nice gentle roo(w/us, hens, it seems) and I may send both roos to the freezer when this summer is over. I was surprised when the BR roo DID give up and hasn't approached the broody pen yet today. They're all crowing(lovely!) and the SS roo has hens w/him now(I thought THAT would aggrivate BR roo) but so far OK thru fence. And I know it probably will change IF I release SS roo this spring to wander.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by