Ss...s?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ibicella, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    I was having coffee this weekend with a friend of mine, and she was catching me up on some neighborhood drama.

Her neighborhood has had the typical story of stupid irresponsible owner and poultry-killer dog. Very long story short, this dog has gotten into several coops and there have been numerous reports of this dog to animal control.

Recently the dog was SSS'd after a neighbor caught it on his property trying to get his geese.

Anyway, my friend says that apparently animal control was over at the irresponsible owner's house wanting to know where the dog was. I don't know exactly why, but we do know there are charges being brought against him for not controlling his dog.

We were pondering whether the neighbor who SSS'd the dog (a friend of hers) should talk to animal control about it and let them know the dog was put down. She is worried about him speaking up though, because the irresponsible owner isn't the most rational of people either, and she doesn't want him retaliating against her friend.

I was wondering your thoughts, or if anyone has had experience on this.*

*Please keep the discussion civil. Don't let this dissolve into a rooster fight of right vs. wrong, or dog vs. owner's fault argument. It's not about how it was handled, but what to do with the situation as it is presented now. The deed is done. Is it time to shut up or speak up?

Thank you!

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    My opinion would be to stick to the 3rd S and keep it that way.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

The third S is the most important I'd say. Let them think the dog got ran over for all I care.

However it might be hard for a/c to press charges if there is no dog. [​IMG] I still say keep the mouth shut though. There won't be any more problems from the dog now, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about animal control anymore. Obviously if they did their job right the first few times, the dog would have been kept home/otherwise taken care of. I'd just let animal control worry about the charges, and the dog (or lack thereof) and if the charges get dropped I'd just be happy that there were no more problems from the dog and be done with it. Doesn't matter to me the means of how the dog problem was taken care of, bullet or animal control, so long as the problem is "solved"

Hopefully, the bad owner will wise up a bit and if they get a new dog they'll keep it home in order to prevent it's disappearance. One can hope, right?

4. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    I don't know how to respond without going into the who's right vs. who's wrong......... hmmmmmmmmm many things should have went differently in this situation. I think the neighbor should speak up a.s.a.p. I know if i were the irresponsible owner i would only be more irate when i found out months down the road about my dog.......... but i would be just as mad if i were the owner of the dead geese or chickens....... hmmmmmmm

5. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    wait what are ss&s?? i didn't know they actually meant something...... yes i'm new to BYC sorry....[​IMG]

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Ms.FuzzyButts :

My opinion would be to stick to the 3rd S and keep it that way.

ummm, yep, sound advice IMHO [​IMG]

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    in most localities domestic animals are controlled differently then wild life or fur-bearers it is best to let animal control handle domestics unless the locality allows the land owner to live trap and deliver to the pound, and then I would call the local game warden / LEO /animal control officer and create a paper trail to justify any actions I had to take to protect myself from a vicious animal. Your friend may need to speak with a lawyer before they speak with animal control and not talk / speak with anyone else until advised what to do by said lawyer. good luck to your freind

8. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Quote:Shoot, shovel & shut-up !!

9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:Shoot Shovel & Shut Up. the three S's

SSS

10. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010