SSHHHHHHHH! Loud pullet questions.

BeardedLadyFarm

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Cobleskill NY
I have had a couple pullets increase in volume quite a lot in the last couple of weeks, and I was worried what they would sound like when they're ready to lay. I found out today!

It was more like screaming than the egg song. I'm illegal in the city, so I'm really trying to keep the noise to a minimum.

If I get rid of the two loudest ones, will another one take over the job, like roosters do? I'm not sure if I should blame it on individual behavior, or chicken hierarchy.

Just curious before I pack them up and send them to the country.

The girls that I have like that, have stayed loud. They get my boys all worked up, and before you know it, everybody is running for cover
roll.png

Quote:
Maybe I'll box them up and bring them to New Tripoli! (just for reference, they're 10 times louder than that blue cochin you got from me was)

The offenders are a very shiny Black Sex-Link, and her understudy, a very pretty Australorp. I think I have a new home lined up already....

There are quite a few threads about the dominate Hen taking over the Roo duties, so You may find that the #3 bird gets loud once 1&2 are not there to keep her quiet.
I cant say for sure, I have plenty of roos to keep mine quiet. And enough guineas that I barely hear the Roos, let alone a loud hen.
th.gif

Quote:
That's what I'm worried about, but it's a chance I'll have to take. By Buff Orp used to be noisier and bossier, but one of the younger pullets has gotten louder, and seem to be in charge now.

I guess for every one I relocate, I'll have a vacancy for a spring chick!

Back
Top Bottom