ST. BERNARD PEOPLE! BABY PICS of my new...uh...Newfie??

Beekissed

Free Ranging
16 Years
Feb 14, 2008
This world is not my home.
Hi! Just need a little input on the temperament of St. Bernards. I've read some great stuff but I'd really like to hear it from the dog's mouth, so to speak.
big_smile.png

Are they smart, trainable, docile? Tell me what you like about them most?

Last edited:
My saint is 10 months old and I consider her trainable, smart. She has learned many things on her own and things I taught her. She is potty trained. Peeing took the longest and at night. She wakes us up when she wants out she will whine and nudge with her face. My neighbors saint does this too. She is a big love bug, she is scared of the fly swatter just the sound of it she runs out the front door into the yard it is funny....she is a big baby. She does however love the water, mud, and can get pretty hyper. Tends to hurt the smaller animals cause she is so big and wants to play. Her nails hurt. She plays with my neighbors dog and kids....the owner said he does not think she has a mean bone in her body. So much to tell. I heard they don't like heat well and mine does not....slept in the tub, shower, bathroom floor, and just wants to be outside alot when cool. They love a romp in the snow I hear we will find out.

I am
pop.gif
caf.gif
more replys please.

Thank you! I've been reading such good things about the breed and others have told me their experiences and it meshes with yours.

I have a chance of obtaining a St. Bernard/Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab mix pup this next month. I have an old GP/lab mix that is on her last days and I fear the worst for this winter. I also have a younger Lab mix that will be devastated with her passing and will need a companion. I don't like any of my animals to have to live alone and I enjoy seeing them interact within their doggy world.

I don't really WANT to get a puppy, but I really NEED one for Jake. He would suffer so to be alone. Actually....come to think of it, that is why we got HIM! So that my old Lucy wouldn't be alone.....
smile.png

Where does it all end???
barnie.gif

Anyhoo...Lucy is an excellent LGD and I want her to help me train the new one. Jake has turned out wonderfully under our tutelage and I really need to have a dog that I can trust.

The St Bernards and crosses thereof I've known have all been great dogs (aside from the obvious large-dog issues with soundness and longevity, which seem to be less in lighter-smaller crosses as opposed to purebreds). Two thumbs up
smile.png
I know one who wants to 'herd' (not, apparently, catch) wild ducks.

As long as both parents are from not-awful-hips-and-elbows ancestry, I'd say go for the St Bernard / retriever cross
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I've had 2 dogs that were part Saint...one was 1/2 the other only 1/4 but they were both great dogs. Right now I'm trying to convince my husband that we really need to get another one altho this time I want a purebred one. In looking for one in our area they seem to be far and few between here.

Tazcat70 had one appear on her doorstep earlier this year...now why couldn't it have been my doorstep!!?? She searched for the owner, but no one ever came forward to claim her.

My saint does and has had limping in her hips when she goes to get up after laying down. She has been put on colvite vet says they think she is lacking vitimans and she is sore from growing too fast. The vet wants her to stay on that for 6 months till about a year old for now. We will be going in on friday to get more colvite. She is still having a problem. I will have her hip test done when I can.

Also she won't leave the birds alone she chases them and is mouthing them.

Quote:
My ears were burning... I am on the look out for another one for you Katy.
hugs.gif

My saint is the sweetest dog ever! We think she is about 3 years old. We obviously did not know her name and so we started calling her Katy within a few days she knew who we were talking about. I have a 2 yr old that is REALLY hyper, and not the most gentle when showing affection to the animals, and Katy just takes it, or gets up and walks away. She likes to chase the chickens, but has never chewed on any. Her bark is fearsome and she is very loyal and protective. We had a friend come over and Katy came running and barking, which is scary, and while she stood between me and our guy friend after introductions she was a-ok. She doesn't like to share food with the cats, but again has never hurt anyone. She has never messed in the house, and knows that she can't go out the front door, unless on a leash.

She is very smart, and loving.

The worst thing about her is that she sheds.....A LOT! It is really long too, so be prepared for lots of brushing.

Definitely a thumbs up.

I have a St. Bernard/Akita mix who was rescued and he is absolutely the best dog that I have ever owned (and I have had a lot over the years). My vet says that he is one of the best dogs he has ever seen in his practice. He is AWESOME with my special needs son and he is especially attentive to the little creatures- kittens, chicks, toddlers.

He is very calm and loving without being needy. He likes to nap with me and it is like sleeping with a bear.

He is a terrible guard dog, and comes to get me if anyone is at the door or if it storms, but this isn't a big issue for me as I have a couple of hounds that do guard duty.

The shedding is an issue, but I use a furminator on him a couple of times a week and it really helps with that issue. Because he is a mix, he doesn't drool and that is a plus. I agree with other posts that mixes tend to have fewer of the health issues. I do really watch him when it is hot. He spent all summer in the house during the day.

I have a 16 month old female St Bernard. My daughter gave her to me when she was 5 months old. We also have a labradoodle and just got a new Border Collie pup (5 mos old) and she LOVES him. Kind of takes the motherly role with him and is much gentler playing with him than with the labradoodle who of course is much bigger than the pup.
Sweetest girl and docile but not the brightest star. We got the Border Collie because DH wanted a smart dog to balance out the "dumbdumb". But we love her anyway. She potty trained easy enough but when you call her it takes 3-5 seconds for her to look up like she's a bit "slow" and takes her good old time coming to you but she does do it. She stays in the house and only goes out when we do. They don't have alot of energy but are sweet and great with kids but they will knock them down just due to the size. So if you have small children beware. Emma weighs 150 lbs and isn't finished growing yet.
She pants loudly so can't sleep in the BR with us. She likes to sleep on the cool tile floor of the office. Lots of shedding so be prepared to vacuum frequently. I shave her in the summer and she doesn't like to go out for too long when its hot but she adores the snow and would stay out all day in it laying in it. Drooling also, although mine isn't so bad with that. Would I have one again? YES. HTH

Back
Top Bottom