ST. BERNARD PEOPLE! BABY PICS of my new...uh...Newfie??

Thank you each and every one! I very much needed to hear that I wouldn't be making a mistake on this one.

I don't get dogs too often...I've only owned 3 in my lifetime and I still have two of them. The first was a yellow lab that died of gastrointestinal cancer.....he was the greatest dog in the world. No other dog has held a candle to him but the ones I have are still really great and wonderful dogs.

I spoke to the family that has the dogs and they had a litter of 11 puppies!!!!!!!
th.gif
Both parents are on the premises and well known, both have even temperaments and both great with kids and other animals. They hope I'll take two.......
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

NOT.
tongue.png

I'm getting a male pup and will name him Duke.....as in, a duke's mixture.....
lol.png

I love love love my 2 saints..
I 'm hooked on the breed now...
My male saint has never given me one minutes problem... honest. not once... (and his name is Duke too!..
cool.png
)
Hes so mellow and sweet... all he wants to do is be loved and please us... and sit on our heads when we're on the couch..
roll.png

My female (Daisy ) has a bit of a prey drive... shes fine with my cats but will chase down my chickens/ducks... its not a vicious thing.. just a dogs natural instinct to chase the squeaky things..
hmm.png

But..i also have not trained her with my birds either.. So thats all my fault. Its not a breed thing...
She fine with the birds when i'm in the yard with her... so she listens well... its just when she breaks into the yard and we're not around that bad stuff happens.. *sigh*
But still.. she a very sweet dog.. same as my male.. they just LOVE people...even strangers... she just wants to please us and she is also VERY smart... almost to smart for her own good.

Last edited:
I was wondering when you would chip in, Redhen!!!
smile.png
I love your avatar!

I might go and check out these pups this week.

If I follow through on this, I'm hoping this dog will be a good replacement for my old Lucy. She is just what you describe in your Saints....she just always wants to be loved and always willing to please. She has been one great dog...she has been such a good part of our lives that it will be hard to imagine life without her.

Getting a breed that is pretty much just like her will help us with the transition, I think.

Most definitely!
big_smile.png
They have 11 puppies in this litter, 5 boys and 6 girls. They describe them as black with white markings but say that some of the black is turning brown. Is that typical in Saint puppies?

Love my saint, hate the hair lol. Oscar is a wonderful dog who just loves people to death. He wants your attention, he sits on your feet so you can't run away LOL. He is great with kids and other dogs but tends to scare the crap out of other dogs because of his size. Here's a few pictures....
Oscar and my daughter Hannah...he's a little younger in this picture and I believe my daughter was 5yrs at the time
7110_august09_029.jpg

After shaving him...silly boy!
7110_before.jpg

And you can look forward to this...lol it's either that or vacuuming daily!! Also you'll either have to pay for someone to do this (which is expensive!) or invest in some very nice dog sheers...I borrow industrial sheep sheers from a farmer down the road from me who raises sheep...cuts through that thick coat like butter!
smile.png
Although the crappy part is shaving them dillutes their pretty colors. You can see how much darker his head is then his body when he's shaved. But I love the lion cut!
gig.gif

7110_august09_028.jpg

We don't own one anymore, but we "believe" we had a Saint.

Instead of the liver or brown and white, he was black and white. VERY short hair. Same build, body style, and head. Wasn't a Mastiff. He was the sweetest dog...wound up killing 30 chickens, so we had him put down.

He came to us after his owners abandoned him...just walked up and put himself in the dog pen one day.

Well....I got the little hooligan.
smile.png
The whole litter were black with small amounts of white. The mother didn't look anything like they said her breeding was....if that dog had any lab or golden retriever in her I am Miss America!
lol.png

She actually looked very much like a Visla....light golden eyes, very short red-gold hair, slender build, pink lips and nose....no lab or retriever head on her at all. Poor thing had already started trying to wean these pups, so they just started feeding them.

So...instead of waiting until he was properly weaned, I took him home today.
hmm.png
He definitely has the SB head and hair quality, huge paws...hard to tell just how big he will get. I'll tell you this...he sort of looks like a Newfie!

Anyhoo...soon as I can bathe him and get him presentable, I'll post a pic and let you all decide just what this Heinz may be. I think a good deworming will put this pup into a growth spurt and will gloss up his fur a bit. His fur is a wavy and a little coarse for a pup. He looks like a little black bear!

Quote:
wee.gif
Yeah.. Newfie makes sense... Saints were mixed with Newfies to get the long coat waaay back when...
We need baby pics!
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom