St Petersburg, FL newbie

Kimry1

Hatching
7 Years
May 22, 2012
St Petersburg, FL
Hello! I'm a new chic/duck mom. I am currently raising 9 chics and 2 ducks. They came last week. I have 6 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, 2 Barred Rock and 1 Buff Orphington. 2 baby Florida Ducks.

I work in veterinary medicine and love to travel. I also have 2 dogs, 2 cats and a horse.

My question for the experts...I live on the water and I'm wondering how chickens will do living next to a sea wall. Will they know the boundaries? I'm worried that when they are old enough to free range that they could fall off and perhaps not be able to get out of the water. There are steps that are very low to the sea wall that go to the water.

Chickens evolved around creeks (I don't know about oceans) so they'll probably know their boundaries.

Welcome to BYC! We're glad to have you!
frow.gif

Welcome to BYC! Not sure about the water question but not sure how you will keep them away from it (at least at first) unless you put up some run/fencing. I just started my flock 2 months ago, the first few weeks were ALL about exploring and getting into places I hadn't even thought about blocking off. Now that they are settled in and know the yard they tend to stay in certain areas...usually
barnie.gif

Kris
St Pete FL

Back
Top Bottom